MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why would MyBB remove features?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why would MyBB remove any features from the core? Its kind of like saying for a video game that you are going to remove a feature because its not used by many, but some. We spent the time to make the last level, but we are going to remove it because most people dont like it. It hinders the overall flexibility MyBB can be used by everyone.

I can understand if the code is bad, not working well, or a security issue. But something like the calendar doesnt seem to do that. It only enhances MyBB's flexibility and could only attract more users. More users means more support for the dev team, etc.

Why wouldnt MyBB strive to compete with vBuletin by being a free open sourced version. It doesnt seem like it could ever do that if features are being removed, and everything is pushed to a plugin. People would rather pay for vBulletin than hassle with MyBB.

I dont know, i just see it as a downgrade to remove a feature.

I know some of you are going to say "we need a small simple version". The devs could fork a complicated version, and you guys can stick to the featureless MyBB, while those that like a lot of plugins/features could use the bloated MyBB. Seriously would you rather install a plugin or two to a bare stripped MyBB version or just install the bloated one?
In the specific case of the calendar, the current calendar system leaves much to be desired. It would take too many dev cycles to create a real calendar system or even to re-implement the existing calendar functionality with the new technology stack (eg. twig template system and composer for packaging).

FWIW, I do use the calendar on my site
If Calendar was split into a plugin you'd see how little support it actually has. And I do think it should be removed.
If any issues are discovered it takes time to fix them, people then need to review the code and it adds an extra area we need to ensure is maintained when a very small amount of people use it.
I would say that plugins enhance the flexibility of the software, as it allows board owners to pick and choose the extra featurs they need or want for their forum, while not having the software bloated with features that aren't useful to them. It isn't rocket science.

When we say we want the software to be light weight out of the box, with the basic features needed to run a forum, we are by no means implying that it is our intention to stick to the 'featureless MyBB', as you call it.  We may install plugins for additional features that we need on our forums.

It's not that it's particularly hard to install and manage plugins for MyBB, either (and I'm not expecting them to make it harder in 1.10 and 2.0). To answer your question; yes, I would rather install a few plugins than to have a ton of features just sitting there unused and taking up unnecessary space in the software.

Then there's also the issue of maintenance, as Ben pointed out.  If only a minority of boards need/use a certain feature, is it worth it for the MyBB devs to maintain it as part of the core?

No one is asking to remove things like user profiles, categories, threads, polls, thread/forum subscriptions, private messages/conversations,  moderation functions, etc. as those are all basic features needed to run a forum.

What most of us are asking for, a light weight forum software with all the basics necessary to run a forum, that is easy for admins to extend with additional features as needed, in the form of plugins/add-ons. I don't really see what the problem is with that?

MyBB is pretty light weight as it is; it's not really bloated with unnecessary features. Let's keep it that way.

That said, there are obviously some great ideas and suggestions floating around in the suggestions forums that would really be useful to a lot of boards and board owners and the software could really benefit from having in the core. Also things that are pretty standard for forums these days but that MyBB doesn't yet have (like an alerts system that serves users clickable ajax alerts of things they care about or are following as they're happening; a more modern, conversation-based alternative to PMs, which allows for conversations between two or more users; a latest posts/threads block on the index page; etc.).
Also remember that maintenance isn't related to just security and bug fixes. It also adds more aspects to the software that users may need support/help with and adds extra functionality that has to be documented in the documentation.

We're not talking about removing any features that are in wide use. Instead, we're talking about taking features that aren't widely used out of the core and, where there is demand, making plugins out of them that are officially managed by the team.

Plugins can also be released independently of the core forum software, so they can receive updates at different times to the rest of the forum if there is a major bug or security issue found - rather than upgrading the whole forum, you simply upgrade a single plugin.
You don't need a calendar on a forum... It's useless when you can just click on the current time on your desktop.
But hey, that's my opinion.

[Image: nwuwvw.png]
(2018-01-10, 08:19 PM)Sazze Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need a calendar on a forum... It's useless when you can just click on the current time on your desktop.

Yeah, well calendar on forums is used to notify users about things on forum and so. Not only to see what day is today. Smile
(2018-01-10, 08:59 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-10, 08:19 PM)Sazze Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need a calendar on a forum... It's useless when you can just click on the current time on your desktop.

Yeah, well calendar on forums is used to notify users about things on forum and so. Not only to see what day is today. Smile

I guess you have a point there, but wouldn't it be easier to add a notification bar at the top? Kinda lame to go to the calendar each time to see what's up on the forum.
Once again, my opinion. Smile
I don't know. Some events are maybe in calendar like for example birth day of some member or celebrity if forum is about that, some historical event or something like that.

So it can be really useful for some forums. But there is no need for it for most of forums.

In my opinion best thing is to make offical mybb calendar so who ever needs it, just installs it and have it. Everything is still in database at same place. And who don't need it, just don't need to install plugin and that's all Smile
Pages: 1 2 3