MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: install/index.php page is blank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm doing a new installation of 1.8 on a Windows server. I does support php and MySQL. I uploaded everything and changed the permissions on files in the cache and inc folders. However, when I send my browser to mysite/Forum/install/index.php the page is totally blank. Even the source code view is blank. 

I've uploaded and viewed a <?php phpinfo(); ?> file. That seems to work just fine. The php version is 4.4.9
most probably php version is problematic. at least php 5.2 is required.

[MyBB 1.8.x requirements]
(2018-01-18, 05:55 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]most probably php version is problematic. at least php 5.2 is required.

[MyBB 1.8.x requirements]

Thanks. I think that I will be changing hosting. My host it expensive and wanting to charge for more databases. Seems like they are only offering a really old version of php, too.

The new host that I'm looking at gives you a choice between php versions 5.6, 7.0 or 7.1. Which do you think would be preferable?
^ personally I'd chose php 7.0
[NOT its highest version at present as fixing some old plugins is a bit complex task]
(2018-01-18, 09:38 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ personally I'd chose php 7.0
[NOT its highest version at present as fixing some old plugins  is a bit complex task]

Thanks. I did try the latest versions. However, the BB wouldn't install with them because the mysql extension was missing. It did install with the 5.6 version of PHP, though. 

Making a little progress. The temp Web address isn't working on the new server, so more to come.
mysqli needs to be selected for the database type for recent versions of php

see also this related reply
They have an automatic installation program on the server. Maybe I shouldn't have used that. I guess I probably should have just done my own installation. Now, though, I can't even test it, because I found out that temporary URL's don't work on the server that I'm on. I'm not impressed with this hosting so far. Terrible instructions.

Another question. Can you install and configure MyBB before you have your domain name transferred to a new site. I wonder if the configuration would be off, or need to be changed later if you are using it with a temporary URL initially.
The board url is stored in 2 places. It is stored in inc/settings.php and in the database table mybb_settings. If you change hosting providers generally you will not need to change anything as long as it is in the same directory. If you are looking to switch hosts, I've been using Siteground for many years and have had nothing but great experiences with them. Right now they have a promotion going on where you get a free website transfer to them if you sign up with a hosting account.