MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Alerts, conversations and mentions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2018-02-17, 01:42 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Even with the merge system falling behind I believe "official" plugins to be worth of consideration.

Yeah, right that Smile
It would be awesome to introduce a new "Plugin Development Team" for official plugins. I strongly believe that MyBB should allow any additional feature an option for users to install plugins. Alert system and mention system should be MyBB official plugins. Fortunately, this community has amazing plugin developers currently maintaining and working on these plugins. These plugins are somewhat a requirement for modern forum software as many have it included in the core. The MyBB should be closest to the actual product when installed. Of course, install the official plugins on the community forum to really enforce new users how these plugins are powerful and can really extend their forums.

Other notes:
- The extend system should have an organized support section. (kinda like reviews from the MyBB 1.6 mod site), but the support button on the plugins and theme will open an actual section to how for help so it will be easier for developers to assist and keep it organized.
In my opinion, things like an alert system should be core. A mention system makes sense as a plugin since not every site needs/wants such a thing, but features like an alerts system where it's a common feature useful to pretty much every single site should be core.

Look at the way alerts currently work. They're available as a plugin (MyAlerts, and I believe there are a few others), which oter plugins can integrate with. Some plugins do integrate with it, others don't. Those that do have to check if the MyAlerts plugin is installed, then add hooks into the MyAlerts plugin and sometimes code around differences between different versions of the plugin.

If it's a piece of core functionality, all plugins know that they can add alerts, and that there is one common way to do it. Plugins can add new alert types, ways of displaying alerts, ways of sending alerts, new features for alerts, etc.

That's just my 2 cents.
(2018-02-19, 10:04 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, things like an alert system should be core. A mention system makes sense as a plugin since not every site needs/wants such a thing, but features like an alerts system where it's a common feature useful to pretty much every single site should be core.

Strongly disagree. You've come halfway. Build the mention system into the alert system, and be done with it.
(2018-02-20, 08:30 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-19, 10:04 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, things like an alert system should be core. A mention system makes sense as a plugin since not every site needs/wants such a thing, but features like an alerts system where it's a common feature useful to pretty much every single site should be core.

Strongly disagree. You've come halfway. Build the mention system into the alert system, and be done with it.

Problem is that there are many different opinions on how a mention system should be implemented. People can't even agree on one style of markup for writing mentions.
In an ideal world everything would be core. In our case though, I believe getting a notification over a tagging one to be fair and good enough.

Also, in my opinion you need to offer something up to developers and not just administrators or end users (which needs are ultimately filled by a forum administrator). Give a powerful system developers can exploit and allow them to handle minor features.

BTW I'd suggest to open a thread per suggestion/feature instead.
(2018-02-20, 08:25 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

Problem is that there are many different opinions on how a mention system should be implemented. People can't even agree on one style of markup for writing mentions.

The poll numbers speak for themselves. As far as the style of markup goes, can you go more into detail on this? Maybe create a new thread for this subject?
(2018-02-21, 03:56 AM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-20, 08:25 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

The poll numbers speak for themselves. As far as the style of markup goes, can you go more into detail on this? Maybe create a new thread for this subject?

Wildcard had a thread recently about it, and there were several different options suggested, including @"user" @user @user#uid @uid @[uid], and others: https://community.mybb.com/thread-215417.html
Pages: 1 2