MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PM log in ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a plugin for this. But i think it should be in the core. A log in ACP for private messaging for admins. Some might think that would be an invasion of privacy, but admins have access to the database anyways, and could get it via other means if they wanted. This just would make it more simple.

An example of it being useful:
  • Our forum handles a lot of homework traffic, and we dont condone cheating. We have caught more than one student requesting freelancing for the homework via the PM log.
  • Another reason is you could verify PM abuse by just checking ACP.
The only way I would support an easy way to view PM's is only show PMs that have been reported.
(2018-01-30, 12:01 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I would support an easy way to view PM's is only show PMs that have been reported.

And even then, only within the report.
maybe its just me then. Our forum promotes posting on the forum and not using the PM system. In fact we might gain more by restricting everyone from the PM system.
Can see why you've made this suggestion seeing as you can see it in the database anyway. I agree with Dragonexpert, I'd rather have an easy way to view reported Pms in the ACP.
(2018-01-30, 12:56 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]Our forum promotes posting on the forum and not using the PM system.

It's an education issue. (see what I did there? Toungue)

My point is, you need to make people report PMs that contravene the rules. Asking for Freelance work on ones homework isn't OK, so a PM requesting it should be reported.
They wont report it. The cheater gets his homework done for a price, and the freelancer wont report it because he gets paid. Sometimes the freelancer makes the first post to the student, so no one knows....well we do but only because of the plugin to view PMs
I'm not for this suggestion. Private messages have reason to be named Private. If you have that problem maybe best way to resolve that is to just turn off PM system...
Nothing is private if you send it across the internet. Do you think your PM's to your friends are not being recorded by facebook? They are selling everything you say to companies and/or government. Whether your facebook wall is private or not whatever is on it is sold to the highest bidder.

And private messages are not private anyways. If any admin wanted to they can tap into the database and read them already. Its not like regular users are going to be reading it from ACP, only admins...which already have access to it, just easier access.
PM reporting is planned (https://community.mybb.com/thread-195239.html), but it's unlikely MyBB will allow viewing messages outside of that scope.
Pages: 1 2