MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: favorite threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a plugin, forgot where or what version it was for, but this is the info in my plugins for it

Quote:Favorite Threads (1.1)
Allows your members to favorite threads to view in their User CP.
Created by Starpaul20

I think this should be in the core as well. It just seems like such a simple addition that it would be easy to implement into the core. And it seems like it should be common for users to want to personally select threads to remember for later.
Well, I gotta agree with this too. I like that function a lot on some forums Big Grin

But I don't see much difference between this and subscriptions...?
Quote:But I don't see much difference between this and subscriptions...?

you can be subscribed to thousands of threads that you posted to, while favorites would be a list of manageable number of threads that you personally add one by one. Whereas subscriptions can get unwieldy just by posting a lot.

For example i favorite some tutorials that i would like to refer to over and over again, or a thread for free books, etc. Or if you just want to save that thread for future reading. I dont want to get updated when someone posts to it, i just want to save it for later reading. There is no other method to just manually save a thread that you like, other than to bookmark each thread individually via browser. And that is ludicrous. If you post in a lot of threads, you get so many subscription notifications that at some point you just skim through and just pick and choose which of those you would rather post to. As if you viewed every one, you would never leave the computer and have a life. Theres also no way to refer back to such threads, if no one did ever post to them again either via subscriptions. So what if i want to find such thread again, no one responded to it again, cant remember the name of the thread, and search results in not being able to find it or too many results? Which seems to happen to me a lot.

Before this plugin i had to make a bogus thread, not post it, but save it as a draft, and just list out favorite thread URL's that i was interested in. Whenever i wanted to refer back to it, i just checked my drafts.
You can always unsubscribe.

We can make like 100 categories like one for subscriptions, one for your threads, one for liked threads, one for read and so one. But what's point in that?
unsubscribing doesnt create a list of threads though. There is no way to create a custom list of threads without the favorite plugin. Favorite threads doesnt necessarily mean favorite, its just user selected threads listed in a custom list for any reason. There would be no need to have multiple categories, one would suffice a user.

Well if you wanted to make it more complicated you could, i guess. But then let the user define the name of the categories. Just add an option to add that thread to custom thread list. And have the user define a new tab (like in Gmail). But i wasnt thinking that far in depth. I think a single category would suffice.
I feel as though this should be more like the Reddit “Saved” option; so you can also save posts within threads, and not the whole thread.
PS how do I find my saved posts in reddit? lol I would of assumed that would be in my profile. Found it, the saved tab is hidden under my username if i dont have the window full screen

that would work too. Same idea