MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Super Administrators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have 2 admins. in our forum.  Everything is working just fine.  Should there be a group for "Super Administrators" like there is for "Super Moderators"?   

Can anyone tell me what the differences between regular Admins and Super Admins are? 

Do I really need a Super Admin?  

Would I, as a regular Admin. be able to create a new user group for Super Admins. and set the permissions there?   I would think that would not be possible and would be like a private giving the captain orders.   Smile
basically the first administrator [with user ID 1 (ONE)] is considered as a super administrator
and super administrator account cannot be modified by other administrators of the forum

in general, there should be no need to add a super administrators group.
forum owner as a super administrator should be sufficient

Super Administrators account is set through config.php file (in inc folder) [more details]
(2018-02-04, 07:37 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]basically the first administrator [with user ID 1 (ONE)] is considered as a super administrator
and super administrator account cannot be modified by other administrators of the forum

in general, there should be no need to add a super administrators group.
forum owner as a super administrator should be sufficient

Super Administrators account is set through config.php file (in inc folder) [more details]

I understand .. but in our administrator group listings there are only two admins.  The first one listed is exactly the same as the 2nd one.   I haven't accessed the server yet to check those parameters as the server has recently changed owners etc.  

So let's say we have (in the mybss screens) admin. A on the top and admin B on the bottom.  The 2nd Admin (B) in the list is ME .. the original owner of the forum as set up originally years ago. The top and 1st admin in the list is now another guy that  I set up as a regular admins. a few years later. 

Because of the change of owners of the actual server some things need to be double checked and documented.  It is a little complicated because I used to lease the server and had two domains running on it.   One domain was for a club who had a web site and the MYBBS forum.  The other domain was another web site I had for personal use. 

So I've removed my own site and domain and setup another server elsewhere and am now going through the process of setting up new moderators and admins. and cleaning out the old stuff and leaving the web site and forum in place for the club to maintain.    

So I would really like to know is there any differences between a super admin and a regular admin.   According to what you say user A is by default the super admin.   That shouldn't be since from the beginning there was only one admin .. which is now listed as user B, the second one down the list.  

Years later it seems that adding a new admin created a new super admin  which bumped me down the list .. OR we actually HAVE two super admins.  Confused  

The new owners of the server now have questions about the forum is handled etc. and I'm in the middle of assigning logins and passwords and permissions in the forum area.   Sorry for this long winded reply .. Trying to divorce myself from the original server is proving to be a challenge.    Smile   

Where can I find the actual parameters listed for the two types of admins .. Supper and Regular Admins ??
The second admin in what list? The members list doesnt mean anything, nor their arrangement. The members ID means a lot. Go into ACP and check the admins profiles. In the link you will see UID={NUMBER} that number is the ID. By default 1 is the super admin. If you are not 1, then you are not the super admin. Assuming config was never changed.

If you want to make both admins super admins....
in /inc/config.php this is  the default
$config['super_admins'] = '1';
make sure both admins ID's are here stated in the comments above it

Quote:/**
* Super Administrators
*  A comma separated list of user IDs who cannot
*  be edited, deleted or banned in the Admin CP.
*  The administrator permissions for these users
*  cannot be altered either.
*/

You can add yourself if your not 1 to this list, or add other admins to this list.

If you dont have server access, there is not much you can do until you do.
The only benefit of being a super admin are as explained in the comment in the post above - cannot be edited, deleted or banned, and you cannot set Admin CP permissions for them. Having them in different usergroups wouldn't do anything or have any benefit, it only gives the protections in the Admin CP itself, where a user's usergroup is irrelevant.