MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - anyone preparing plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2018-05-18, 06:29 AM)BaggerHD Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to be a misunderstanding about the new law. @Sarisisop, even IF you had asked to delete your account and post, the boards admin did not have to do anything more then just delete you as a member.
(you can't clame that your nickname can reveal your true identity)

IF your nickname where "firstnameandlanstname" the board admin should change your boards nickname to something that will not reveal your identity. Your post is NOT anything the board admin have to delete, the reason is in article 17. 3.

Falling under the journalistic rights, and the right of Freedom to Speech. 
The board admin/owner can justify that the thread no longer will be understandable IF some of the post where deleted, and will for fill the law by anonymous your nick (IF the username could lead to your true identity. IF your username where "Paul", the board admin can just delete your access to the board, so not more able to login. Course there is millions "Paul" in the world, and no one can clame that that nick will track your true identity).

About the need of the plugin, well IF the username where trace able to users true identity, a plugin that can change quote username to new username will be satisfied. Nothing more is needed.

So, is people "over-reacting"?
@Omar G
Yes, they are over reacting. Literary, artistic and journalism are excluded. Within journalism, think of citizen- journalism of interactive-journalism.
Satamedia-arrest also shows that it is excluded. With the satamedia case, you can also justify the info given on live chats. The case against Hemelrijk shows that information given on a smal platform (example neighborhood) is just as "important" as a article in Time Magazine.

So in worst scenario, we have to anonymous the writer.

The forum have it's right to give necessary information/journalism that was posted on the forum, that will be the only way the "information" will hold it's whole content, and a deletion of some of the answers inside the thread wil destroy the whole information about the content.

EVEN if a person post an thread and there is no replay, the information he or her have written will been classified as citizen-journalism, an therefore be excluded from the right to be deleted.

Hope that gives a clearer picture of the case

EDIT
The above answer is about the delete question. All forums who have users from EU/EER have to be transparent about the use of cookies, what they do with the cookies (sharing with google analytics, youtube (if you don't use "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/") google adsense, google adwords and so on) Even this forum mybb community have to make a new transparent agreement with users inside EU/EER, where a former pop-up agreement no longer will for fill the users rights.

But for the part of deleting, forums are safe. Make a new agreement telling users what the forum are doing with the personal information, and cookies, and make them agree to the new agreement. Then all should be within the new law
Quote: Within journalism, think of citizen- journalism of interactive-journalism.

Are you trying to say that forum posts are journalism?

Definition..."the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcast."

I don't think forum posts generally fall under that category.

Quote:So in worst scenario, we have to anonymous the writer.

Which is why we're not over-reacting when it comes to this law. Forums function as community driven membership sites. You take away profiles and all you have it 4chan.

Quote:EVEN if a person post an thread and there is no replay, the information he or her have written will been classified as citizen-journalism, an therefore be excluded from the right to be deleted.

Wow. You really do think forum posts are journalism. Good luck with that.

And btw, it's not going to matter how a forum owner interprets the law. What's going to matter is how Google and your host interpret it and implement policies. You think if you get delisted at Google you can give them the argument your site is forum journalism?

Quote:Make a new agreement telling users what the forum are doing with the personal information, and cookies, and make them agree to the new agreement. Then all should be within the new law

For the most part that's correct. It gets trickier though when you consider that not all forums operate the same way. You didn't mention users under 16. You didn't mention dealing with account deletion requests. You didn't mention archiving. You didn't mention what happens if you want to change hosts. You didn't mention how to deal with accounts and posts from members who don't login and agree to the new terms.

This is a huge law to oversimplify the effect it's going to have is negligence.
@labrocca
The info comes from a ict lawyer, specialized in the rights for journalism. IF you have better understanding, please share.

All of your quoting comes under the same statement, and yes, I claim that if fall under journalism, and the right for free speech
I don't think "over-reacting" to be the most precise expression, but I agree people saying they will likely get their sites closed even before the law pass are totally on the unknown.

Early Labrocca mentioned allowing the deletion of the birthday field. Why would you need to remove the birthday, last login date, time spent online, etc. if, once you remove the primary personal information from the account (name, email, etc) there would be no way to link back that birthday info, etc, to a specific person?

As long as no personal information can be linked back (ip, name, etc) you aren't forced to remove anything more, as far as I understand of course.
Quote:@labrocca
The info comes from a ict lawyer, specialized in the rights for journalism. IF you have better understanding, please share.

Under that definition any social media site, which is the true target of this law, doesn't have to ever remove any material. That's just common sense. Unless you own a forum with actual intent on being a news source I don't believe you can get away with saying all the posts are journalism.

And again, it's not going to matter what you do on your site if you're going to get delisted. Just like how Google removes pages from their search engine for DMCA notices. If you think Google, Amazon (AWS), or big datacenters are going to risk 20 million Euro fines for violations then you're crazy. And they are liable under this law. Read it yourself.
(2018-05-20, 03:11 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:@labrocca

Under that definition any social media site, which is the true target of this law, doesn't have to ever remove any material.  That's just common sense.  Unless you own a forum with actual intent on being a news source I don't believe you can get away with saying all the posts are journalism.

And again, it's not going to matter what you do on your site if you're going to get delisted.  Just like how Google removes pages from their search engine for DMCA notices.   If you think Google, Amazon (AWS), or big datacenters are going to risk 20 million Euro fines for violations then you're crazy.  And they are liable under this law.  Read it yourself.

I did post a couple names to justify my statement. 
It have been tested at the european court, 
Quote:Article 9 of Directive 95/46 is to be interpreted as meaning that the activities referred to at points (a) to (d) of the first question, relating to data from documents which are in the public domain under national legislation, must be considered as activities involving the processing of personal data carried out ‘solely for journalistic purposes’, within the meaning of that provision, if the sole object of those activities is the disclosure to the public of information, opinions or ideas. (European Court)
That just as one example. please read the line "disclosure to the public of information, opinions or ideas
And yes, I guess the most forums posts are information, a opinion or an idea. Since this is the words from the court, it does not matter how the english encyclopedia define the word journalism.
You have a point that this law where made to affect fb, google and so on. But you did NOT explain the big different in what kind of information they are collecting, neater what they do with that kind of information.
My forum have no idea if you eat at a restaurant, my forum have also no idea who your mother, brother, and so on is.
EU did also set a high en low "border" in this law. Companies with more or less then 250 employees.

About Google, Amazon and so on. Guess they also have been reading what the European Court have stated, and that small forums not will be de-indexed since the court have given a statement that that sort on information, opinion or idea, are justified in the court for law.
As said, please see the difference in sorts of information being tracked, and what happens with the information, then you will see a huge difference between fb and a mybb forum.
Not talking about my opinion, this is statement from the European Court.. no matter how description is about the word journalism.
(2018-05-15, 02:09 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-15, 01:55 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]So guys, how will you solve this on your boards, I am just curious about it because I dont know the best way... anyway I need to solve this ASAP Sad

Keep an eye on this repository:

https://github.com/kawaii/mybb-pdatactrl

In the next couple of weeks we should hopefully have something usable for forum owners.

Awesome kawaii, I will just keep on checking this for updates Smile
Quote:EU did also set a high en low "border" in this law. Companies with more or less then 250 employees.

When I read the exemption for under 250 employees it's more about some of the record keeping and not necessarily the data. Read Article 30 it's about "records of processing activities". In such cases large companies will have to maintain records of who accessed the private data of the users. So please read it again, you'll see that having under 250 doesn't exempt you from the bulk of the law.

Quote:Guess they also have been reading what the European Court have stated, and that small forums not will be de-indexed since the court have given a statement that that sort on information, opinion or idea, are justified in the court for law.

I'd love to read confirmation about that. Any links?
I bit practical though. Like iabrocca says, one of the main problems currently is the fact that in the quote the nicknames of the users are repeated in plain text.
So we need two actions for myth
1. Asap change that quote into the user number. If a user then wants to be forgotten, then you change the name Linked to that user number into John of Jane Doe. As far as my knowledge is from the software it then should change every where.

2. This is more difficult, in that you need a script that goes through the database in search for all "quotes" and have that change name into number. That script probably contains an amount of sql and something that parses the text. I am not a programmer, so I guess this is difficult but can this be done?

Would love to hear that we small forums are exceptions of course, that would be the easiest solution.

So bad that EU commissioners and parliament members are so unknowledged about the thing called internet in all its forms.
Next problem we are facing is the Censoring filters and the Link tax. Both coming from minds that don’t know where they are talking about or are driven by money.
It’s time for the development of a new anonymous internet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14