MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.8.14 won't work with PHP 7.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This thread is funny and highlights the level of many admins running MyBB forums.

The Staff/Dev's need to keep that in mind. MyBB is one of the simpler forums imho to run and administrate. Keeping it simple should be a serious goal.

But I'm still chuckling at this thread and how it needed to be stated over and over again to use MySQLi (added "i" is for "improved").

Maybe MyBB can consider a check if the version of PHP is 7 and the mysql is set incorrectly that it can produce a proper error message.

"You are currently running PHP 7 and have MYSQL set in your inc/config.php. Please alter it to 'mysqli' for compatibility"
(2018-02-09, 05:15 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]This thread is funny and highlights the level of many admins running MyBB forums.

The Staff/Dev's need to keep that in mind.   MyBB is one of the simpler forums imho to run and administrate.  Keeping it simple should be a serious goal.

But I'm still chuckling at this thread and how it needed to be stated over and over again to use MySQLi (added "i" is for "improved").  

Maybe MyBB can consider a check if the version of PHP is 7 and the mysql is set incorrectly that it can produce a proper error message.  

"You are currently running PHP 7 and have MYSQL set in your inc/config.php. Please alter it to 'mysqli' for compatibility"

Or we could just automatically update it to "mysqli" if it's available and "mysql" is set (and if "inc/config.php" is writeable of course).
The mysql package has been deprecated in favor of mysqli starting in PHP5.
(2018-02-09, 10:44 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]The mysql package has been deprecated in favor of mysqli starting in PHP5.

Correct. But deprecated isn’t removed. At least, not initially.
Isn't this supposed to be an English ie. anglophone forum? What is this 'deprecate' stuff. To 'deprecate' means to 'express disapproval of: protest against' according to my dictionary and my brain.

Maybe you mean 'disused' or something like that.

Of course it is most likely some sort of Micro$oft speak.
Quote:... 'disused' or something like that ...
yes, it is no longer in use with the latest versions of php

--- this topic is closed for further discussion ---
Pages: 1 2