MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Afraid of Upgrading New Versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an experience before I upgraded my forum and all of the modification and changes I made has been wipe-off and has returned to its default.  Sad

I heard that there is an easy way to upgrade a new version by just uploading few files, can anyone give some links to that easy method of upgrading?
Best tips I could give would be:

#1 Make a note of All changes you have made somewhere so you can reference back.

#2 Take some screen captures of what your forum looks like.

#3 Add your site to Wayback Machine

#4 Have a test forum or even a couple on another URL or sub domain and update that first.

#5 Wait around 2 - 4 weeks before updating to a new version and let others find the problems. (There usually are some with all updates)

#6 Always follow the information in the blog post when a new version comes out and see this: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
(2018-02-13, 09:58 PM)mrdangem Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that there is an easy way to upgrade a new version by just uploading few files, can anyone give some links to that easy method of upgrading?

That's the only way to upgrade, there's no other way to do it or an "easy and hard" way. Upgrading shouldn't remove any changes unless done incorrectly, but you should always take a backup of your forum first so that if anything does go wrong, you can simply restore it.
Major upgrade changes are a major pain in the lime. Minor upgrade are a minor inconvenience. Smile

But follow MyBB instructions on the release pages and you should be okay. If you need to do the 1.6x to 1.8x upgrade then I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to have backups and say a prayer before you begin the process.