MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Forums, are they even worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the question is simple, new forums, are they even worthstarting?

In this day and age social media rules the web and forums are dying out there is no doubt in that.
Unless you can make a forum but make it more like social media you're going to struggle.
Now is it even worth making a new forum?
I don't think it is unless you have the perfect niche, great developers, and designers.
Otherwise, you are bound to have a failure.

What is your take on this?
(2018-03-02, 01:10 PM)Nasyr Wrote: [ -> ]So the question is simple, new forums, are they even worthstarting?

In this day and age social media rules the web and forums are dying out there is no doubt in that.
Unless you can make a forum but make it more like social media you're going to struggle.
Now is it even worth making a new forum?
I don't think it is unless you have the perfect niche, great developers, and designers.
Otherwise, you are bound to have a failure.

What is your take on this?

What's you're definition of a "failure"? I think it's all relative. You definitely have to know what you're doing to gain any traction.
If a forum fails then no they don't worth anything(even my forum failed specially in ACP its messed up, however i don't have any one who knows about it yet not even the name of my forum).
I don't think so they fail and as TaylorCTU said, failure is a relative term. Smile
I believe they are worth trying at least. I'm currently looking to add myBB forum to my website, the scope will be a support angle, whether or not it will be a failure I've no idea, but I'm certainly going to give my users the option to communicate using another platform.

From my experience, when I need tech support on something or even just a general query, I never use social media... I prefer the website route and if there is a forum available I will also make use of it, plus you have access to a great community of expert users who can help you or perhaps find answers to questions you now do not need to ask!

So I guess, to answer your question yes I believe it is worth it, it's another channel of communication, how can that be bad! Smile
There's people who enjoy social media and then there's people who enjoy forums. Just like how some people use Reddit instead of a forum like HF. Everyone has their choice, just matters that the choice is there.

I'm more of a forum person, I believe social media is for your personal life. I enjoy meeting other people that I may never have to meet or reveal my true identity to online, interacting with them on the forum everyday is enjoyable.

I believe if you intend on having a super successful forum that'll have thousands of people online at a time might not be too easy unless you're like a Market, or Hacking community. However, I do believe that for smaller communities such as Doom.sx, Eternal.is, or Lewd.sx serve there purpose. Small communities for people to gather and enjoy a nice community that keeps itself together.

Fact is forums that run MyBB are dominated by HackForums, LeakForums, OGUsers, etc. The three cover Marketplace and Hacking, so there's no real reason for anyone to join other boards under those topics.

But honestly, if you know what you're doing then I believe you'll achieve success.

Quote:-Don't be an evilĀ Admin
-Develop an Advanced Custom Theme for your Forum
-Offer Social Media styled Functions
-Implement ideas suggested by your community
-Offer creative and fun Plugins and Activities to Engage in onsite
-Provide content for users to enjoy
-Advertise creatively for your forum topic

Some simple keys to a successful forum. Content is king, or more so it use to be. Nowadays a lot of people enjoy a nice design alongside content. Most people do a half job and expect their community to blow up, but I suppose it really just depends on how you manage things.

Quote:I don't think it is unless you have the perfect niche, great developers, and designers.

I can agree with this. The niche doesn't have to be perfect really, it just has to be something you can talk about endlessly on a daily basis. But like you said, great developers and designers are whats crafting the best communities now from what I can tell.

Anyway, I don't know if I answered your question or not but hopefully this'll give you some more thoughts on this, Nasyr. Smile
I think if I was starting a new forum I wouldn't use MyBB. Not until it's mobile compatible and has a built-in API.

Forums can work though if you have the right software and be current to new standards.
a new forum is bound to fail as soon as you start to see a greedy power hungry admin wanting to right away shift his staff around, demoting some and restructering the whole layout even without waiting for the forum to "mature" over time. ive seen this pattern before. and on top of that, some admins i know, dont give a darn about their members by closing forum and reopening on their own accord. -meaning those admins who have severe mood swings. when they feel down, they feel they cant go on and close or delete forum...only to restart or reopen it at a later time. thats what discourages members from rejoining. an admin who runs a forum must be 100% dedicated and compassionate/caring about the community. big fail when the community loses confidence and reputation of the admin
I think it's worth it if it's a good one, I personally like forums, unfortunatelly a lot of forums have plenty of topics but no replies.