MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A space character flagging an email as invalid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just started a Mybb site and with the 50 or so users who have attempted to register, I have run into this issue twice that I know of.  I do classify it as a bug although it may be a design bug and not a coding bug.  Either way it should be addressed.  It is confusing for users and took hours for me to figure out what was going on.

If one enters an email address of the form "[email protected] ", what one sees on the screen is just
[email protected]".  if in response to typing that, one gets a message that the email address was invalid, the user sees what appears to be a perfectly valid email address as being rejected.  Either the code needs to be corrected to ignore leading/trailing white-space (which is the norm for this type of thing) or the less user-friendly but minimally acceptable solution of having a more descriptive error message that at least echoes the email address that was rejected (eg, "The address you entered, '[email protected] ', is not a valid email address." or even better "The address you entered, '[email protected] ', is not a valid email address. Email addresses may not contain the character ' '.")
Thank You for reporting. It will be checked by the Developers
Good catch, I can reproduce
I wonder if it would be best to just trim the email input to remove whitespace at the start and end?
(2018-03-25, 06:59 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it would be best to just trim the email input to remove whitespace at the start and end?

I agree.  The email checking is not done in PHP but in some funky javascript stuff in an area of javscript interaction with webpages that I have little experience in. That is why I was unable to offer a solution.
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3088

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group