MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shared VS VPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are in the process of setting up our MyBB Hosting plans, and was wondering to sell as a shared hosting plan or a dedicated VPS plan?

We would love to hear from the community here how have they got there MyBB install hosted and what would they prefer to buy shared or VPS plans?
Hands down, VPS.

There's a lot of small things and reasons why:
  • The ability to manage own web server, PHP, and MySQL installations - reducing security risks
  • The ability to only install the PHP extensions you need, thus reducing overheads
  • The ability to manage own firewall rules, potentially being able to block spam at your edge point
  • The ability to have dedicated RAM and CPU resources at your disposal (well, generally speaking, anyway)
(2018-04-01, 10:06 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Hands down, VPS.

There's a lot of small things and reasons why:
  • The ability to manage own web server, PHP, and MySQL installations - reducing security risks
  • The ability to only install the PHP extensions you need, thus reducing overheads
  • The ability to manage own firewall rules, potentially being able to block spam at your edge point
  • The ability to have dedicated RAM and CPU resources at your disposal (well, generally speaking, anyway)

Thank you for that feedback, goes without saying we would give full access to the VPS to make any changes they need or want. 

We would also be making the plans managed for people without technical knowledge too.
Management is an additional service. I wouldn’t buy a managed plan as I know what I’m doing.
(2018-04-01, 10:31 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Management is an additional service. I wouldn’t buy a managed plan as I know what I’m doing.

We might do Managed as an addon to the packages. Would like to hear some others point of view on this?
I'd also go for a VPS. It does require maintenance and setting up so I don't recommend this if you haven't done this before or have someone to help you along the way.

P.S. I've moved this to the general discussion forum.
(2018-04-02, 10:57 AM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]I'd also go for a VPN. It does require maintenance and setting up so I don't recommend this if you haven't done this before or have someone to help you along the way.

P.S. I've moved this to the general discussion forum.

Do you mean VPS? If so I completely agree.
Absolutely. Thanks for correcting me.