MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: copy database from old site to new site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
IN essense I want to make a clone of my site but without all of the plugins, a nore simplistic one and duplicate the databases. Can I literally download a backup of my databases from site A and install them on site B?
if your purpose is testing / development then
I'd suggest to use a local server in your computer system [eg. XAMPP]
[see this related post]
If your purpose is to mirror the site with live changes you can keep the database as is for site A and use "Remote Database Connection" (need to setup from hosting panel) with some little tweaks for site B : that way any changes to database reflects to both the sites.
You can open phpmyadmin (or something similar), and export the database.
Then install a new MyBB copy, complete the install, then drop all tables in database and import your copy.

Remember that some plugins include their own tables of the database, so they're completely useless and you can choose to drop them or keep them, either works.

However, if you want to completely clone the website (as using the method above won't include the theme, you'll need to export that and reinstall), you can always just make a complete copy... Then all you need to do is disable all plugins, and you can use the backup of the forum without any active plugins in it.
thats it cybersec

IM ok with plugins as Im planning to scale back on the customisations
Didnt work out too well, the settings were all over the place. Clicked into one area and ended up in another, theme was all messed up.

So let me ask again, is I have site: www.example.com as a mybb forum then I create a new forum in www.example.com/forum and set it up the way I want is it possible for me to take across JUST the threads, users, etc without taking the old theme and customisations as well?
for the clone setup:
database configuration should be changed in config.php file &
board url & cookie settings should be changed in settings.php file

after logging into admin panel of the clone setup,
board url & cookie settings should be changed again
at Site Details page of Configuration Section
(2018-04-10, 03:12 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]for the clone setup:
database configuration should be changed in config.php file &
board url & cookie settings should be changed in settings.php file

after logging into admin panel of the clone setup,
board url & cookie settings should be changed again
at Site Details page of Configuration Section

This should work for a clone setup perfectly but OP as you don't need plugins, you might want to delete redundant plugins on your board after cloning and use rebuild tools in admin cp.
Great, I will try a little later.

It's there a way to know for certain which database entries are no longer needed?

For example, I noticed that the plugin mysubscriptions seems to create less database entries now than before. Should I keep them a to be safe?