MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Save PM as Draft issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Team,
I see an issue in MyBB 1.8.15 series related to Saving Private Message as draft.

Description
Suppose a user has enabled receiving PM only for buddy list. Now we receive a PM from that user and following thins happen :-
1. As we don't know user settings, so unless we reply him back, we don't see the error "
  • You cannot send messages to user because you're not on their buddy list.
2. Now if you try to save that composed PM as draft also, you see the message
  • You cannot send messages to user because you're not on their buddy list.
Second point is incorrect, we are not trying to send PM but we are trying to save it as a draft.

Hopefully I am able to explain it properly.

Regards
WallBB
(2018-04-16, 10:21 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow related to this?
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3091
Pretty much issue in similar functionality under different scenario.
A little different as, in this case it says the error "You cannot send messages to user because you're not on their buddy list." and in the github case, "Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable"

Regards
WallBB
We'd need to test to see if it is the same. I don't think it is.
I can't reproduce this. My drafts are being saved perfectly with the name of the user restricting PM receipt.
(2018-04-21, 06:19 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]I can't reproduce this. My drafts are being saved perfectly with the name of the user restricting PM receipt.

The user should have buddy only messaging enabled, I can't remember the setting name exactly.
If the setting you are referring is "Receive private messages from other users." in UCP then I can confirm this properly saved draft for me using 1.8.15
(2018-04-21, 06:54 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]If the setting you are referring is "Receive private messages from other users." in UCP then I can confirm this properly saved draft for me using 1.8.15
Nopes, this setting
Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List. This setting has no effect unless there is at least one buddy on the list.
Set this on the account from where you send first PM. And use the other accout for trying to reply and saving as draft.
Okay I have reproduced this but isn't it normal behaviour?
How can you save a draft message with a recipient you can't even send message to?
(2018-04-23, 03:12 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Okay I have reproduced this but isn't it normal behaviour?
How can you save a draft message with a recipient you can't even send message to?
Nopes, it is not a normal behavious.
Basically user will want to save the message till the user has added them to buddy list at least. If they don't add to buddy list then there is no point in saving that message as draft.

Usually when user A(The user who has enbled buddy list messaging only) sends PM to user B(not in buddy list), there are few things happening at that point :-
1. User A is expecting a reply back but they might forget that they have enabled buddy list messaging only(for this they should show a message User B is not in buddy list)
2. User B will not know User A has enabled buddy list messaging before they reply to message from User A
3. Finally User B will try to reply to User A post or give User A reputation so that User A will know User B is not in buddy list and save the message somewhere so that User B can send PM at a later stage.

So option is either to save the PM on their Laptop/Desktop or use Save as Draft which is a feature for this purpose Smile
Pages: 1 2 3