MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Foreign Leadership
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A user can be leader of a group he / she doesn't even belong to.

If this scenario seems little impractical; possible solution might be:

Throw an error during assignment in ACP if the user doesn't have the subject group id in his / her user / additional user group.
or
Silently accept the assignment and add the subject group to user's additional usergroup.

I'd possibly go for throwing an error; even better not to show the user to the leader selection dropdown if he / she doesn't belong to that group.

Ideas?

Edit: Further research:
A user can be moderator of a forum he / she can't even see.

Reproduction steps:

Case 01:
Set a forum (say, "MyForum") as members under "Registered"  group can't see. Make a user under "Registered" group. Now assign the member to the moderator of the forum "MyForum". The member will be automatically upgraded to "Moderator" group (a question here, why primary? why not additional? But thats okay).
Now demote the member to "Registered" group. The member can't see the forum anymore but still assigned as Moderator of it.

Case 02:
Set a forum (say, "MyForum"). Make a user under "Registered" group. Assign the member to be Moderator of that group. Make sure he is still under "Registered" group. If not - put him back to registered group. Everything fine so far, he can still moderate that forum. Now:
Set the forum permission as "Registered"  group can't see! Wow. he is still moderator and he can't see the forum!
And what happens if the user becomes the leader? Can they manage normally?
I prefer the way phpBB2 used to do it. You had to add the user to the group, THEN make them leader. For logic reasons, I’d prefer it to go this way. Throw an error if they aren’t already in the group.
I agree, should be changed
(2018-04-25, 05:11 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]And what happens if the user becomes the leader? Can they manage normally?

Elaborate?
Group leader should definitely have to be part of the group, not being part of it doesn't make any sense to me and I can't think of a case where it would be desired.
Further research: Updated main post ...
I believe this has been mentioned before. The reason not to force the leader to be part of the group is so that they can "hide" themselves from being so. That is why I asked if there was any difference in management capabilities. One example can be found here in the Group Memberships UCP page. But I don't know if the users listed as leaders are part of the team as secondary.

The moderation one I agree should be updated.
Group system (leaders) misses "small but useful" features - fortunately all of them are available as a standalone plugins from Wires. Would be really nice to fix this in 1.9 (or in 1.8 if there will be any volunteer). Smile
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3234

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group