MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make Boards Look Different Depending On Category
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure how this is managing to elude me so much, but it is. How do you get boards under different categories to look different from each other? An example would be how the boards on this site look:

https://i.imgur.com/3KwtkP4.jpg

Site Live: http://chrysalis.isoldehn.com/index.php

As you can see, the Out Of Character and In Character boards have a different set up from each other. I want to achieve this on my forum.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
In short: Go tableless, use classes to differentiate the cats.
In long: Thats a heck of a modification in templates what they have done. But what you need is I just stated in short.
(2018-05-06, 04:06 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]In short: Go tableless, use classes to differentiate the cats.
In long: Thats a heck of a modification in templates what they have done. But what you need is I just stated in short.

Would I code the classes to define the category or the board? Then do I just implement the class ID in the board description?
Generate the classes through forum ids.
category_{$forum['fid']} will generate class (or it may be ID as well, cause those will be unique) as for example category_12
Since they are unique, they can be styled separate from each other further.
(2018-05-06, 04:32 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Generate the classes through forum ids.
category_{$forum['fid']} will generate class (or it may be ID as well, cause those will be unique) as for example category_12
Since they are unique, they can be styled separate from each other further.

Terribly sorry to keep bothering and asking so many questions, but where do I create the class, templates or themes? And where under those.
see the method suggested here ; however please do not replace codes blindly ...
(2018-05-06, 06:48 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]see the method suggested here ; however please do not replace codes blindly ...

What I'm seeking is along the lines of this, I think I found what I wanted here ( https://community.mybb.com/thread-158915.html ) but when I went to my test forum and copied all the code over the forums were not in columns.

I want the forums on my site to be displayed in 2 columns. Only for certain categories though, like the site linked in my first post.

What I need to know is how do I define a specific forum with an ID to style it differently in CCS. Does any of this need to be edited under the forumbit_depth2_forum template?
MyBB allows you to set in the forum settings a specific theme and to override user settings.

That's how you should do it. MyBB solved this a long time ago.
(2018-05-06, 11:27 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB allows you to set in the forum settings a specific theme and to override user settings.

That's how you should do it.  MyBB solved this a long time ago.

I appreciate the comment, but that doesn't change the appearance of the board on the index page, and you can replicate the style sheet to a new theme, but replicating all the edited templates you can't do and manually have to go through and change them, and then edit the one template I want different from the rest. However, that still didn't work, as the only thing that changed was how the forum(board) itself looked when you went to it.
actually template code is changed along with css style properties.

one of the categories needs to be different from other categories.
as suggested in post #4 that category needs to have unique ID &
its contents display can be changed through css style changes

suggestion is to follow this method (please do not replace codes blindly)
Pages: 1 2