MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Themes, template changes & mybb 2.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is about asking about the best way to keep theme templates updated to changes and whether if theirs anything in MyBB2.0 that will help with this.

I know changes over versions contain code and template changes.
If one updates to a new version how would one easily migrate changes into a theme?
Also how could one update a theme downloaded online to the latest MyBB stuff easily?

As a lot of themes for probably all forums (probably 80% of all themes especially free) are made then not updated or abandoned as you can see in the theme downloads for many different forum software's, here one has to install them ignoring compatibility with any backend changes and fixes since etc.

So if there are new cool features or security fixes in the themes unless you get a coder or 'know' your way around themes you won't get any of these changes.

Other forum software handle things differently, some have a compare template function built in,
others use a child of the main, (wordpress does this so you can still update the original theme with only your changes in the child),
and some even have all there variables separate from the theme itself and the theme is just a markup to all the functions and nothing else,
I have even seen forums that lock themes to a single or just minor versions between major releases so any update means you need to fix or get a new theme on a major point version.

Here we have templates which contain both functions and markup which makes updating and fixing themes a little difficult for novices and basic users and those who don't want to or have time to cross reference loads of code.

So how do we manage this now and whats the easiest way to manage it and what will MyBB 2.0 bring that will make things better than the can be not the best solution at times we have now?
MyBB 2.0 is an entirely new software. There will be very few if any similarities between MyBB 1.8 and 2.0 therefore I can not see any templates being converted to the new software. The only solution would be the designer redoing the template on the new software.
(2018-05-10, 09:15 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 is an entirely new software. There will be very few if any similarities between MyBB 1.8 and 2.0 therefore I can not see any templates being converted to the new software. The only solution would be the designer redoing the template on the new software.

Completely know MyBB 2.0 is new software and new themes was just curious how that will trackle that when most companies are looking at that stuff in some way.
MyBB already has some of that functionality at least for templates. "Find Updated templates" -> "view diff"
Though it would be nice to see a similar function of say for example "find updated css" -> "view diff"
(2018-05-11, 03:12 AM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB already has some of that functionality at least for templates. "Find Updated templates" -> "view diff"
Though it would be nice to see a similar function of say for example "find updated css" -> "view diff"

Thanks vintagedaddyo,
I am comparing the diffs now some I don't get but others I do,
Managed to find a tag on a quick look alreaddy that I should have the {$deleted_bit} in postbit which was missing for viewing deleted posts in threads.
I'm sure there are others and I will come across them.

Agreed we need a style-sheet diff editor.
I know I could always export to Notepad++ and use its diff editor.

I think after launch of my site I may need someone or to sit down and really look at diffs and update the templates.
tl.dr

MyBB template system is being changed. Not 2.0, its with v.1.9 itself. We are switching to twig.
With that implementation I highly doubt about the compatibility of older themes, it may be needing a complete rewrite...