MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fancy uploads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Along the improvement of the attachment system considered for future versions, we have been deciding upon which javascript library we should be relying on to handle drag and drop features, multi uploads, and such features.

The following is a list of libraries we have checked to fill this requirement we see fit.

jQuery File Upload Plugin
jQuery File Upload Wrote:File Upload widget with multiple file selection, drag&drop support, progress bars, validation and preview images, audio and video for jQuery.
Supports cross-domain, chunked and resumable file uploads and client-side image resizing. Works with any server-side platform (PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Java, Node.js, Go etc.) that supports standard HTML form file uploads.

Uppy File Uploader
Uppy Wrote:Uppy is a sleek, modular JavaScript file uploader that integrates seamlessly with any application. It’s fast, easy to use and lets you worry about more important problems than building a file uploader.

Fetch files from local disk, remote urls, Google Drive, Dropbox, Instagram, or snap and record selfies with a camera;
Preview and edit metadata with a nice interface;
Upload to the final destination, optionally process/encode

Fine Uploader 5
Fine Uploader Wrote:Fine Uploader is:

Cross-browser
* Dependency-free
* 100% JavaScript
* 100% Free Open Source Software

FineUploader is also simple to use. In the simplest case, you only need to include one JavaScript file. There are absolutely no other required external dependencies. For more information, please see the documentation.

Edit: I have added a poll but it doesn't mean our final decision should be aligned with its results.
Has http://www.dropzonejs.com/ been considered any at all or is this already set in stone?
Dropzone was considered but it has some 'weird incompatibility' as reported...
I think you have to use the most usefull/lightweight tool for it because this improvement is important but take your time and whatever you decide at the end should be fine Smile
So is this gonna be like a Plugin Uploader?
I voted for the jQuery File Upload. - This seems to allow uploads of all kinds and the resumable file uploads is a big deal to me since we have downtimes that pop up out of nowhere.

However, Uppy File Uploader was a very close 2nd. - Very similar to jQuery, but not very many websites would be allowing user selfies, that's what Facebook and other social media are for, not for forum based websites.

Not real crazy about Fine Uploader 5 - It seemed somewhat limited on what files can be uploaded.
Ideally, replacement of the plugin should be not impossible for designers or plugin authors.
jQuery File Upload was my choice but it was a debate between Uppy File Uploader so would be happy with either.
[Caution: probably stupid question]
How much difference is there regarding their file sizes? Anything that would show significant differences in loading times or are they more or less the same?