MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make a Topic Appear in multiple forums(Multiple Parent)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I am new with MyBB and hence my knowledge is very limited. I have 2 questions regarding customizing a forum. I don't have a website yet.  

1- Is it possible to customise my homepage similar to that of Webmastersun forum.

2- I would like to make my website similar to the below-mentioned format

Category1
  Forum1
  Forum2

Category2

Forum 3
   Topic1
   Topic2
   Topic3
   Topic4
  Forum 4

SubForum 4.1
       Topic1
       Topic3
    SubForum4.2
       Topic4
       Topic6

So is it possible to customize the forum in the above format.
1. It is possible to customize your mybb forum like anything as you wish. It was built with PHP & Mysql. There are many themes on our mods section. You can also create a theme from your idea. All you need is little knowledge about HTML, CSS and basic mybb template structure. 

2. Yes, it is possible. You can create main categories, forums, sub-forums, more forums inside subforums... and so on.
(2018-05-16, 01:02 PM)Rashan Wrote: [ -> ]2. Yes, it is possible. You can create main categories, forums, sub-forums, more forums inside subforums... and so on.

I know I can make sub forums and forums inside it. What i need is i want a topic to appear in more than one forums. In the example I gave below Topic1, topic2, topic3 etc are appearing in Forum3 and Forum4.1

here you can see that one single topic can be found under different forums and subforums.
Yes, this is indeed possible. 

MyBB has a section in the Administrator Control Panel called "Forum & Posts".

There, you can configure exactly what you mentioned in your post. 

Here is an example of one of my boards:

[Image: ijMT3GH.png]

---

Edit: Im sorry, I misunderstood your question!

I am not quite sure if you can set multiple parents for a subforum/topic. 
However a workaround would be, to use MyBB's Link option. 
You can create a subforum for one category, and then link to it from another category.

This structure would look like that:

Category1:
    - Topic A
    - Topic B
    - Topic C

Category2: 
    - Topic 1
    - Topic B --> Category1:TopicB
    - Topic 2

Category3: 
    - Topic A --> Category1:TopicA
    - Topic 2 --> Category2:Topic2
    - Topic X
(2018-05-16, 01:09 PM)NullDev Wrote: [ -> ]I am not quite sure if you can set multiple parents for a subforum/topic. 
However a workaround would be, to use MyBB's Link option. 
You can create a subforum for one category, and then link to it from another category.
Yep, multiple parent forums are what I am searching for. 
As you suggested linking is a solution but it cannot be used for a large community.
I think phpbb has the option for multiple parents
(2018-05-16, 02:47 PM)alanjacobmathew Wrote: [ -> ]As you suggested linking is a solution but it cannot be used for a large community.
I think phpbb has the option for multiple parents

I actually doubt MyBB has a feature for that currently...
However, I can try to implement a feature like that as a plugin later. 
But I can't promise anything.
Maybe this will be implemented in 1.9 as well.
To make a forum have multiple parents you would need to use some magic.

Create separate forums, but use the Forum Link setting available in Additional Forum Options which points to the canonical location of the forum.

Quote:Forum Link
To make a forum redirect to another location, enter the URL to the destination you wish to redirect to. Entering a URL in this field will remove the forum functionality; however, permissions can still be set for it.
(2018-05-16, 03:06 PM)NullDev Wrote: [ -> ]However, I can try to implement a feature like that as a plugin later. 

That would be great. Many would actually use that.
(2018-05-16, 03:12 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Create separate forums, but use the Forum Link setting available in Additional Forum Options which points to the canonical location of the forum.

That's what I already suggested ^^

(2018-05-16, 03:14 PM)alanjacobmathew Wrote: [ -> ]That would be great. Many would actually use that.

On it :)
(2018-05-16, 03:50 PM)NullDev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-16, 03:12 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Create separate forums, but use the Forum Link setting available in Additional Forum Options which points to the canonical location of the forum.

That's what I already suggested ^^
Maybe it's me. But when you do like the above mentioned, one forum will be redirected to the old forum. You will not be able to create topics in the new forum right.
Okay I hav installed the mybb here.- >https://pustakparvat.000webhostapp.com/
I have created a new forum in the other topic category.(forum name : For try)
I have redirected to another forum named ebooks. 
It does not solve my issue.
Moreover Off-this topic
How do you guys actually quote someone's selective reply? As of now I reply to each reply and delete the rest to make it selective.

(2018-05-16, 03:06 PM)NullDev Wrote: [ -> ]I actually doubt MyBB has a feature for that currently...
However, I can try to implement a feature like that as a plugin later. 

Ok, this may seem stupid, but sometimes might work.

With respect to the above example

Making forum 3 read-only.
Automatically copying or displaying new threads from Forum 4, Forum 5, etc in Forum 3. So users will post threads in the respective category and all the post will be displayed in one common forum.

Will the above method work?
Pages: 1 2