MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removing Old Links from Google after directory change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Good people

So I had my forum on Example.com. I changed it and moved it into example.com/forums. I installed Wordpress on the main domain.

I changed the settings file in the inc folder, changed the cookie settings and finally altered the htaccess file. Every link is working now.

But my old links like example.com/forums-news are still indexed on the Google SERPs.

How do I remove them?

Also, how should I manage the sitemaps for both the installations? Will installing a sitemap plugin on WordPress site cover the subdirectory as well?

Please help here guys!

Thanks in advance.....
Delete previous sitemaps added on Webmaster Tools and add new site map with new links.
Then fetch some pages as Google.
And also you can remove old links via this tool.
Your new links will indexed on Google about after 3 days normally.
(2018-05-23, 03:37 AM)Rashan Wrote: [ -> ]Delete previous sitemaps added on Webmaster Tools and add new site map with new links.
Then fetch some pages as Google.
And also you can remove old links via this tool.
Your new links will indexed on Google about after 3 days normally.

Thanks for the reply Rashan.

SO will that be enough? To change the sitemaps?

I mean how to implement the sitemaps. What sitemap should I post in Google Search console - example.com/sitemap.cml or example.com/forums/sitemap.xml?

And should I use the sitemap engine plugin for the forum or everything will be automatically handled?

I know these are a lot of questions. But please help... I am newbie.

Thanks in advance.
The best would be to alter the .htaccess file in your old installation folder to provide a permanent (301) redirect to the new installation directory. See Wikipedia for an example using .htaccess
(2018-05-23, 06:30 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]The best would be to alter the .htaccess file in your old installation folder to provide a permanent (301) redirect to the new installation directory. See Wikipedia for an example using .htaccess

Thank you for the link. I will look into it.