MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GDPR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is MyBB.com going to update their ToS?  I'm very curious about various implementations of the law and I don't see  any changes here yet.  Are they coming?
As admin's of other MyBB forums, we are also like to know that!
What we have to do next about GDPR?
Wordpress has done something very nice in their latest update, quite seamlessly!
Blog owners can easily make their wordpress blogs GDPR compliant, I hope we can get something similar to this in MyBB. I am also looking at the plugin by kawaii and eagerly waiting for this release (https://github.com/kawaii/mybb-amnesia)
https://wordpress.org/news/2018/05/wordp...e-release/
The plugin is for forum owners. labrocca I believe is asking more about how the myBB site itself will implement the law (as a possible guidance for myBB forum owners themselves)
Hi Labrocca,

We are currently drafting a new Privacy Policy to incorporate the GDPR here on the forums. We're also considering the possibility of pushing a default policy with MyBB that incorporates the GDPR, but that really depends on if it is really of great value - after all, every site should be tailoring their privacy policy to their own services depending on what data they collect.

Thanks
Tom
(2018-05-25, 02:47 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Labrocca,

We are currently drafting a new Privacy Policy to incorporate the GDPR here on the forums. We're also considering the possibility of pushing a default policy with MyBB that incorporates the GDPR, but that really depends on if it is really of great value - after all, every site should be tailoring their privacy policy to their own services depending on what data they collect.

Thanks
Tom

Slightly off-topic but you mentioned pushing an update. Please note that for any site is going to now need at the bare minimum methods for members to self-delete and also export their data. Whether these are enabled or not by the admin should be up to them but I'd like to see the following settings and tools.

1. Allow member self-delete.
1a. Does self-delete include posts.
1b. Change posts from username to uid.

2. Allow members to export data.

The data export might need a class on its own but at the very least it will need plugin hooks for adding custom table data from plugins which might need to be included.

3. Pruning. Since GDPR doesn't want us to keep data forever we now have to set some sort of time limit for the data and prune it. MyBB imho never had good pruning tools anyways and I shared my personal prune plugin already with MyBB team in the hopes that it gets incorporated to core.

4. Minimum age of 16 (GDPR) now instead of 13 (COPPA). And as part of that it would be nice to stop logging birthdays altogether.