MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IcyBoards Closing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2018-05-27, 10:58 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine websites such as vbgamer45's CreateMyBB have some pretty large expectations to live up to.

This, 100%. Will be looking forward as to who has the best option.
(2018-05-28, 12:19 AM)vbgamer45 Wrote: [ -> ]The main thing for me to figure out is handling templates safely if I can figure that everything is ok. Maybe just have a preinstalled list. But also have to be careful with editing of templates on the users end.

I wasn't meaning anything derogatory there, I assure you.

(2018-05-28, 12:24 AM)Harry K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-27, 10:58 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine websites such as vbgamer45's CreateMyBB have some pretty large expectations to live up to.

This, 100%. Will be looking forward as to who has the best option.

This should be interesting to see play out, for sure.
I'm sure a lot of people got their start on icyboards. Spork did a lot for the mybb community. Sad to lose the member and the resource.
this is a shame to see, but I do wish spork the best with his future endeavors!
I will do what i can help. CreateMyBB for MyBB 1.8 will be banner ad free for next couple months. Just added custom themes/templates support, page manager plugin, and domain parking.
Can we stick on the topic without promoting other similar service?
Wow I didn't see this one coming at all. Icyboards was always a good service.

I hope all the current users find a new home for their forums.
it is sad. i just got everything the way i wanted to. Now on to attempt self host, sucks because im not good when it comes to that. But couldn't find anywhere else the similer to icyboards.. i know the createmybb looks okay but turned me away with the ending of the link being .createmybb.com or whatever it is. to me just looking at someone who going to a site i wouldn't want to type all that or just not even a good ending. now no hate towards them i wish them the best but man i dont think nothing like icyboards is going to come around anymore.
(2018-05-30, 05:00 AM)jcurlz Wrote: [ -> ]it is sad. i just got everything the way i wanted to. Now on to attempt self host, sucks because im not good when it comes to that. But couldn't find anywhere else the similer to icyboards.. i know the createmybb looks okay but turned me away with the ending of the link being .createmybb.com or whatever it is. to me just looking at someone who going to a site i wouldn't want to type all that or just not even a good ending. now no hate towards them i wish them the best but man i dont think nothing like icyboards is going to come around anymore.

It's not as hard as it might seem. MyBB has great documentation and a wonderful support team to give you a hand.

Self hosted will allow you to have full control over your forum. You won't be limited to the themes and plugins that remotely hosted providers supplies, no ads (unless you want them) etc. This will allow for a much better experience for your members. It will also allow you to grow as an admin to greater levels.
Self hosting is pretty simple and easy also you will have full control of everything. If you need help there are plenty of documentations, tutorials, videos on youtube etc.

Also if you can't afford a domain and hosting... find free web hosts like x10hosting and get a domain for free from freenom.

Icyboards and other multi forum hosters are great but it sucks you can't install plugins etc yourself and you will come across many issues so if you install MyBB yourself and do everything it's much easier, less breaking lol.
Pages: 1 2 3