MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IcyBoards Closing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just learned that IcyBoards is closing Sad.  Not good for forum hosting in general a lot of forum hosting services have closed such as ZettaBoards or merged with tapatalk which is not the same.

For MyBB this does leave a hole as they were the biggest host. I did like a lot of their features they built such as using any template, ftp access for images and more.

I did make an offer at CreateMyBB and will work on improving my services for the users.
https://support.createmybb.com/showthrea...01#pid9701
Thats sad to hear, I thought the owner of IcyBoards is here. Hope I can know why it is being closed down ?
(2018-05-26, 01:05 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Thats sad to hear, I thought the owner of IcyBoards is here. Hope I can know why it is being closed down ?

Stated time commitments. He’s busy with work and family and couldn’t continue wth it. Didn’t want to sell out to a different host. Disappointing to say the least though.
(2018-05-26, 01:05 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Thats sad to hear, I thought the owner of IcyBoards is here. Hope I can know why it is being closed down ?

See: https://forums.icyboards.net/showthread.php?tid=11556
Sad to hear this. We are still exploring options about the possibility of some team members coming together to make a project similar to IcyBoards.
(2018-05-26, 08:30 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Sad to hear this. We are still exploring options about the possibility of some team members coming together to make a project similar to IcyBoards.

This would be an exciting move forward! Would love to see something officially affiliated in a way. IcyBoards will be deeply missed. Great community there and a home to many.

@Jon/vbgamer - I checked out CreateMyBB, is it still true that forum owners can not upload their own themes?
Just worth noting, if you want to be a viable option for the majority of the IcyBoards community, you will have to install the RPG mods, such as - and primarily - the account switcher.
Launched and built MyBB 1.8 for CreateMyBB.com today. Included some of my plugins that I made such as ezGallery Pro. I will be able to import forums from IcyBoards that are 1.8

Themes/templates still looking into the past I had safety concerns with php code/variables being displayed.
I just wanted to chime in here and say that I am saddened to hear of the closing of IcyBoards. Despite the fact that I was banned from their community some time ago, I still feel that they have (well, had) the best service offering for beginning webmasters in a world free from the fear of something going catastrophically wrong, which - at the end of the day - is a pretty large selling point.

I imagine websites such as vbgamer45's CreateMyBB have some pretty large expectations to live up to.
The main thing for me to figure out is handling templates safely if I can figure that everything is ok. Maybe just have a preinstalled list. But also have to be careful with editing of templates on the users end.
Pages: 1 2 3