MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 5.0 Feature List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Despite having very little time I am going to try my best to get ASB an update. I have had a lot of feature requests and in my downtime at work, I've come up with at least tentative solutions to all of the presented problems. Therefore, this may be a while in the works, but I am going to commit to at least make the attempt.

This will be a comprehensive, backward compatible, automatic upgrade.

The following is a list of features that I am considering for the next major point update. I will be updating this list as suggestions are integrated into the plan. EHRA and others will find that their suggestions are already on the list, but please feel free to suggest anything that you would like to see— I can't guarantee that I will be able to conceptualize a way to accomplish all of them, but we can always talk it out.
  • FID/TID-Specific Side Boxes

I honestly don't know why it has taken me so long to come up with an interface to handle this request that makes sense, but I've only recently found an idea that I am comfortable with: install a toggle in the "Pages" tab of the side box settings that has the following options: Global (current status, admin can select from all of the available scripts), Forum (for side boxes only to be shown on the forumdisplay.php pages, admin can target single/multiple FIDs), and Thread (for side boxes only to be shown on the showthread.php pages, admin can target single/multiple TIDs)

• Find a way to allow script definitions to include more query string variable options.

When creating/editing a script definition, you start with a script (ie. index.php) but if you would like to narrow it down even further and target a specific page from that script (ie. member.php?action=profile) you can edit the script to look for that specific set of queried variables (sent as a parameter to the URL).

Currently only action and page are available. The former is there for obvious reasons while the latter is mainly used for Page Manager pages. In the past users have requested the addition of other query string vars. I'll try to compile a list and see what can be done about reaching a solution.

• Simplify module code.

I won't bore you with the details, but I have been able to identify a few areas in which I really overthought the process and also some repetitive code that can be modular.

• Provide a little more help in getting side boxes to show for every theme.

One addition would be to use AJAX to test header/footer searches inline and alert the user if there isn't a match.

Another idea is to possibly provide some sort of test page to try the side box layout on so as to avoid making live changes to your board.

Again, this list will be updated as suggestions come in. I'll eventually call it and start creating a solid plan for the update. Then in time, it will be feature-locked and then hopefully, released.

Please be patient with me as I try to keep this plugin alive.

UPDATE: These features were originally slated for 4.0, but have now been reassigned to 5.0, due to the requested responsive update.
Looking forward to it.
(2018-06-21, 04:02 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to it.

Thanks.

As you were the first to ask about adding keys other than action and page, can you give me some examples of other query keys that you would find useful?