MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Test Account
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This excellent plugin aims to speed up assistance and debugging for forum administrators. This plugin allows forum administrators to give out a test account with very limited permissions. Permissions given within the plugin may override usergroup permissions.

Features include:
  • Can Test account be logged into?
  • Cannot change password or email
  • Ability to view the following statistics: MyBB Version, PHP Version, SQL Engine & Debug Information (domain.com/testaccount.php?action=statistics)
  • Directly toggles: Posting, Reputation, Signatures, Avatars, & Private Messaging
MyBB Extend Download
GitHub
Hi, it may be a little confusing but I kind of get the idea. Even so, I don't understand why you pick the username ("Test") and not the uid to identify the test account. You can hard code it into a constant.

Thank you for your contribution as well.
(2018-06-02, 07:15 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it may be a little confusing but I kind of get the idea. Even so, I don't understand why you pick the username ("Test") and not the uid to identify the test account. You can hard code it into a constant.

Just before release I actually changed most things that rely on the username to UID. Thanks for the idea. Except from the install function I'm going to use a constant instead.

This is mostly for users that are constantly asking for help. It'll allow them to provide a test account which makes it so much easier to debug the problem they're facing Smile
Updated to use constants. Thanks Omar.
(2018-06-02, 07:15 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it may be a little confusing but I kind of get the idea. Even so, I don't understand why you pick the username ("Test") and not the uid to identify the test account. You can hard code it into a constant.

wait how do I setup this plugin? i installed on my forum and everytime I hit Install & Activate, I get an error.
(2018-08-05, 07:11 PM)Spooking Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-02, 07:15 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it may be a little confusing but I kind of get the idea. Even so, I don't understand why you pick the username ("Test") and not the uid to identify the test account. You can hard code it into a constant.

wait how do I setup this plugin? i installed on my forum and everytime I hit Install & Activate, I get an error.

What error are you receiving?
(2018-06-02, 01:58 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]This excellent plugin aims to speed up assistance and debugging for forum administrators. This plugin allows forum administrators to give out a test account with very limited permissions. Permissions given within the plugin may override usergroup permissions.

Features include:
  • Ability to view the following statistics: MyBB Version, PHP Version, SQL Engine & Debug Information (domain.com/testaccount.php?action=statistics)
  • Directly toggles: Posting, Reputation, Signatures, Avatars, & Private Messaging
MyBB Extend Download
GitHub

I haven't installed this plugin yet, but I am intrigued by this.

My questions are:

Are any and all permissions available? Or are those permissions limited to what you have stated in the features? 
Meaning... are those permissions "hard-coded" that it cannot be changed at all?

Can I use a different account name? Or is that 'Test Account' username "hard-coded" as well?
(2018-08-06, 12:50 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-02, 01:58 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]This excellent plugin aims to speed up assistance and debugging for forum administrators. This plugin allows forum administrators to give out a test account with very limited permissions. Permissions given within the plugin may override usergroup permissions.

Features include:
MyBB Extend Download
GitHub

My questions are:

Are any and all permissions available? Or are those permissions limited to what you have stated in the features? 

Can I use a different account name? Or is that 'Test Account' username "hard-coded" as well?

The permissions listed can all be controlled by the plugin settings, but the plugin allows you to go even further and edit permissions as you usually would for the account. The only hard-coded permission is that the account cannot change the email or password.

To answer your last question, the account name is hard-coded, however, it'll display a warning prior to install/activation if an account with the same name already exists. If that warning is ignored and the admin proceeds to use the plugin, the existing account will be replaced.

As this plugin can be seen as somewhat dangerous I'm also going to update it so only the super admin(s) can use the plugin settings.
(2018-08-06, 11:11 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-06, 12:50 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Features include:
MyBB Extend Download
GitHub

My questions are:

The permissions listed can all be controlled by the plugin settings, but the plugin allows you to go even further and edit permissions as you usually would for the account. The only hard-coded permission is that the account cannot change the email or password.

To answer your last question, the account name is hard-coded, however, it'll display a warning prior to install/activation if an account with the same name already exists. If that warning is ignored and the admin proceeds to use the plugin, the existing account will be replaced.

(2018-08-06, 11:11 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]As this plugin can be seen as somewhat dangerous I'm also going to update it so only the super admin(s) can use the plugin settings.

I know that I often had to create fake accounts to test plugins/themes and other fun stuff on my website.
So, having this plugin will be helpful in saving me time to create new fake accounts all the time.

It would be wise to code it that only super admins can access that plugin. 
My other staff doesn't need this plugin because they are not the ones doing the testing anyways.