MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a current mybb user, i have my forum on one host, how can I transfer hostes without losing everything I worked on. I don't know how to use the merge system, I tried when I wanted to convert from icyboards but I couldn't figure it out so I started over fresh. I really dont want to start off fresh again.
(2018-06-02, 06:22 AM)BaggerHD Wrote: [ -> ]Answer
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/moving-to-a-new-web-host/

Okay just a couple of questions.

1: both are free hosts so do I skip the domain part?

2: Create a new database and user on the new host. Change the database configuration variables in ./inc/config.php to the values appropriate for your new host. Part confuses me.
1. Nothing to do with free host or not. IF your domain remains the same, skip that part.

2. In your new host, you have to create a new database (mysql, create a new database). Here you will get/fill in 3-4 things, database name, username and password. Wright them down, and fill them in in /inc/config.php under:
$config['database']['type'] = 'mysqli';
$config['database']['database'] = 'thedatabasenameinhere';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'username';
$config['database']['password'] = 'hereyouenterthepassword';

Change the settings to your new info, database name, and so on. Also look at your host if they are using localhost as hostname, otherwise change it to what your host is using, but normally localhost is used. Save the file, and upload it to you new server.

(After you have created a new database, you have to import the backup, as explained in the provided link, the info here, will let the site/forum make contact to your database, and everything will work just as before.)

Hope it helps