MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Option to set thread mode to linear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently, thread mode is by default threaded, and there are various pieces of PHP code around to add a linear modeĀ option either to the entire forum or for a subforum, or at least to make the choice of linear mode for a user hold no matter what.

I think the choice of mode is not just syntactic: it can affect back references and quoting within posts. Therefore, I believe that choice of mode should not be user-based or thread-based. It should apply to the entire outer forum or to individual fora.

Conversation has a different style in threaded and linear modes, so the choice should be made consciously and consistently.

Therefore, I propose that there be a global setting for thread mode that applies to fora, not to users (or in addition to users). In any case, reports here seem to indicate that some testing and bug fixing might be needed, at the very least.

In my case, I have high interaction in my fora, so threading creates too much nesting within a single subthread. Linear mode works better for me, so much so that I want my entire structure of fora to be in linear mode by default. This requires adding an option that is not already available.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion, not fact.