MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: host transfer question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to move a forum that was hosted by icyboards onto hosting I bought on hostgator and they'll only allow the backup of the database. I spoke with the owner and they said to download a new copy of mybb files to upload into the ftp? Will that will work? also I've looked over the guide for it in another thread but do I need to upload the database or the ftp files first? Thank you!

quick update: I uploaded a new copy of mybb and used phpmyadmin to use the old database. I'm getting the error " Your board has not yet been installed and configured. Please do so before attempting to browse it." on my new url though. I tried looking in the config.php file and it has the correct databse name and password in there

this is the url - http://stellarcollision.victus-rpg.com/ the error changes depending on if I have the install directory in there or not. I have it out right now and it says I need to do an upgrade? It's the same version as the old host though. When I try to do the upgrade wit the root admin login it says its not a valid
Make sure the table prefix is set correctly. It defaults to mybb_ but you'll see the tables exported from IcyBoards use a different table prefix.

The error I see is because the "install" directory still exists. For security reasons, the forum will not work until you delete the "install" folder.
Where would I change the table prefix? They should be changed to the mybb_ one correct? I also deleted the install folder and it says I need to upgrade?
Incorrect. The default prefix for tables are mybb_, but because you're coming from IcyBoards your table prefix will be different. To find your icyboards prefix you need to go into your backup file (open with notepad) and see what the prefix is. It'll look something like prefix_tablename (i.e mybb_users). mybb_ being the prefix, "users" being the table name in the given example.

Once you've found your prefix go into inc/config.php and update it to the relevant prefix as well as any other database info that needs updating.

Yes you're free to remove the install folder. If no one does it before me, I'll add something about restoring your database to the documents later on.
Oh okay! So I looked at the database backup that I uploaded into the phpmyadmin and I think I see the tables. Most of them start with stellarcollision_ the name of the website, so I need to change all the mybb_ ones to that. I'm not sure how else to open and edit the database with notepad unless I am misunderstanding you. I'm sorry this is very new to me.

Is there a shortcut on how to do that in the phpmyadmin, to switch all those names? I don't even see a way to edit them individually to change their names.

Edit: Oh I think I found how to change the prefix. SO I selected them all in the phpmyadmin, scrolled to the bottom and in the drop down hit replace with but when I do that I get this error message
Don't rename the tables. You can set the table prefix in the config.php file. Just change it from mybb_ to whatever_.
Ok I did that but the site won't let me sign in though

edit: so I went into the settings file to fix all the links and cookies to direct to the new site but now the theme is gone lol and says its not secure when I try to sign in or if you click on the theme link in the source code
Most expected alterations for users moving from IcyBoards:

1. MyBB Table Prefix
2. Cookie Domain
3. Base / Asset URL

Fix those and you should be good to go.

(2018-06-05, 02:48 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]The error I see is because the "install" directory still exists. For security reasons, the forum will not work until you delete the "install" folder.

Not necessary to delete 'install' directory if a lock file is present in it. By default MyBB creates the file at the end of installation.
But yeah, if you delete the directory you can feel more secured.
I am still getting that error in the screenshot above when I try to change the table prefix.
I believe I fixed the cookies in the settings.php files is there any others I need to edit?
I’m not sure what you mean by base/asset url? I’m sorry

I really appreciate everyone’s help!
You don't need to change your table prefix. Just go to inc/config.php and update your prefix there with the one you already have in PhpMyAdmin. Out of curiosity, in one of your above posts you made it sound like some of your tables have the prefix mybb_ and some have stellarcollision_. Can you confirm? There should only be one prefix.To expand on Effone's point, here's what you need to do:
  • Change Table Prefix in inc/config.php and NOT PhpMyAdmin unless my above point about multiple prefixes is the case.
  • Whilst you're in PhpMyAdmin, go into your settings table. Focus on the following:
  • Go into your /inc/ folder and delete settings.php file. Don't worry, it'll regenerate shortly.
Pages: 1 2