MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Installation is Easy, Right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been a lurker here for a month or so. New register. Old forum user. Mod several times. Limited admin experience.

My friends and I are setting up a forum for our closed community. Right now our MyBB (fresh installation, 1.8.15) is a sandbox to play in.

Plugin installation is easy right?  Download the zipfile.  Extract it.  Copy the inc/plugin .php file, via FTP, to the corresponding inc/plugin directory in the mybb installation files.  Check the readme.txt file.  If there are jscript, inc, or admin files then upload them, via FTP, to the corresponding directories in the installation.

Go to Admin Control Panel>Configuration>Plugins  It will show the new plugin with an install/activate option.

Simple enough. Wrong. I got nada. Tried three different plugins. Triple checked the file locations. Maybe corrupt files so I deleted and redownloaded the zip file. Same.

OK, so maybe I need the downloader plugin. Downloaded, unzip, readme, upload the files to the appropriate locations. Triple check. Same, same. Still nada.

My head hurts. My eyes are crossed. Software makes me feel stupid. You are my last hope.
(2018-06-09, 09:31 PM)JJaxx Wrote: [ -> ]Been a lurker here for a month or so. New register. Old forum user. Mod several times. Limited admin experience.

My friends and I are setting up a forum for our closed community. Right now our MyBB (fresh installation, 1.8.15) is a sandbox to play in.

Plugin installation is easy right?  Download the zipfile.  Extract it.  Copy the inc/plugin .php file, via FTP, to the corresponding inc/plugin directory in the mybb installation files.  Check the readme.txt file.  If there are jscript, inc, or admin files then upload them, via FTP, to the corresponding directories in the installation.

Go to Admin Control Panel>Configuration>Plugins  It will show the new plugin with an install/activate option.

Simple enough. Wrong. I got nada. Tried three different plugins. Triple checked the file locations. Maybe corrupt files so I deleted and redownloaded the zip file. Same.

OK, so maybe I need the downloader plugin. Downloaded, unzip, readme, upload the files to the appropriate locations. Triple check. Same, same. Still nada.

My head hurts. My eyes are crossed. Software makes me feel stupid. You are my last hope.

Well, a few times when I have installed the plugins, if the plugins do not work, often it is because some files were not properly placed in the correct folders.

When that happens to me, I have to move the files the hard way... using my favorite FTP program (FileZilla) (this is an example) I open up the Upload folder...  inside the Upload folder is INC and Languages. (some plugins have more folders... also, be careful that some plugins require you to upload a PHP file directly into the root folder of the website. If you fail to do this, then the plugin will not work or will not work properly.)

I go to the INC folder, whatever files are inside the INC, I manually put those inside the website's INC folder. Same for the Languages folder. 

Then... in the ACP → Plugins... locate the plugin and activate it. 

That should do it. 

Sometimes doing it the long hard way is the only way to get some of those plugins to work.
(2018-06-10, 12:22 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Well, a few times when I have installed the plugins, if the plugins do not work, often it is because some files were not properly placed in the correct folders.

When that happens to me, I have to move the files the hard way... using my favorite FTP program (FileZilla) (this is an example) I open up the Upload folder...  inside the Upload folder is INC and Languages. (some plugins have more folders... also, be careful that some plugins require you to upload a PHP file directly into the root folder of the website. If you fail to do this, then the plugin will not work or will not work properly.)

I go to the INC folder, whatever files are inside the INC, I manually put those inside the website's INC folder. Same for the Languages folder. 

That should do it. 

Sometimes doing it the long hard way is the only way to get some of those plugins to work.

I checked ACP>board settings to see if there were any conflicts. The only possibility I found is ACP>board settings>general configuration>disable all plugins. That was and is set to no.

Picked a real simple plugin. Who View This Thread 1.8 when unzipped has a single .php file under inc/plugins. Fired up the FTP. I'm using Filezilla which I have a little experience with. Move a copy of the file whoreadthread.php to mybb/inc/plugins corresponding to where the file is at in the plugin download. Maybe that is the long hard way but it helps me to keep track of what's going on.

Sounds pretty good so far, huh? ACP>configuration>plugins shows nothing. Log out. MyBB off. Reload forum. Log back in. Still nada.

I wondered if there was a problem with the MyBB installation. But the forum is working all around. Responds to settings changes in the ACP. Shows the default plugin that comes with the installation, Hello World 2.0 with the install and activate option. That plugin installed and it's working.

I have actually read the documentation. Several times. Watched the youtube. Checked for threads. We are testing several forum softwares. I am trying to sell my crew on MyBB. But I'm really stuck here.
Can you screenshot the ./inc/plugins/ folder and the plugins page in the ACP? It literally just loops through each file in the plugins folder so is strange for it to not display it if it's in there.
(2018-06-11, 01:30 AM)JJaxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-10, 12:22 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Well, a few times when I have installed the plugins, if the plugins do not work, often it is because some files were not properly placed in the correct folders.

That should do it. 

I checked ACP>board settings to see if there were any conflicts. The only possibility I found is ACP>board settings>general configuration>disable all plugins. That was and is set to no.

Picked a real simple plugin. Who View This Thread 1.8 when unzipped has a single .php file under inc/plugins. Fired up the FTP. I'm using Filezilla which I have a little experience with. Move a copy of the file whoreadthread.php to mybb/inc/plugins corresponding to where the file is at in the plugin download. Maybe that is the long hard way but it helps me to keep track of what's going on.

Sounds pretty good so far, huh? ACP>configuration>plugins shows nothing. Log out. MyBB off. Reload forum. Log back in. Still nada.

I wondered if there was a problem with the MyBB installation. But the forum is working all around. Responds to settings changes in the ACP. Shows the default plugin that comes with the installation, Hello World 2.0 with the install and activate option. That plugin installed and it's working.

I have actually read the documentation. Several times. Watched the youtube. Checked for threads. We are testing several forum softwares. I am trying to sell my crew on MyBB. But I'm really stuck here.

That is weird... there is something missing somewhere, but I have no clue what that would be.

Maybe Matt or another developer can assist you on this weird issue.
I was daydreaming.  Lost in last months pinup calendar.  Classic blond in a sports car.  Door's open and she's stepping out.  Wind blows up her skirt and shows the top of her stockings.  Ahhh legggsss...  2 leggss...  That's it!!!  I had 2 installations of MyBB.  I screwed up the admin email address in the first installation so I was locked out of my own board.  Reinstalled and it looked like everything was working.  Until I got to plugins. 

Uninstalled both instances.  Ripped everything out and started over.  Now it's workin' like a champ.  Beginning to look like a pretty nice board.  We are going to run MyBB after all.  I've installed first dozen plugins and they're working fine.  Except for the 2 broken ones.  I'm guessing that's normal admin stuff.  Everybody's probably got a couple of broken plugins.  I just need to put more work into it.

I appreciate the attention and patience from all y'all.  Thank you.

I love women.  They have been a true gift to me.