MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there any estimate for mybb 1.9?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Nice to know. Smile
Quote:Conversations are vital for a fluid chat - I moved my forum from PB to Mybb, and it is the biggest complaint that PMs are nowhere near as clean and intuitive as the PMs on PB (which are basically conversations).
PB? Is that phpBB? PunBB?
(2018-08-18, 09:23 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]PB? Is that phpBB? PunBB?

PB stands for ProBoards.
(2018-08-16, 08:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-16, 07:14 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In an ideal world, we'd be releasing feature releases once a year and patch releases at least once a month.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an "ideal world", so realistically, I do not see this happening due to past history. 

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Pretty much this and every update breaks our theme.
(2018-09-15, 03:14 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-16, 08:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-16, 07:14 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In an ideal world, we'd be releasing feature releases once a year and patch releases at least once a month.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an "ideal world", so realistically, I do not see this happening due to past history. 

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Pretty much this and every update breaks our theme.

mybb updates are based on the default theme. when you update mybb and either revert the default templates and/or apply the recent updates manually, it should work fine.

with custom themes, that's a different story as they're coded differently than the default theme.
Additionally, theme breaking is just an unfortunate fact of life. Like Andrew said, releases don't break the default theme, or the default theme is modified slightly to accommodate the changes.

If we never broke custom themes, we'd be stuck with essentially never updating any front-end code. With that, we can never add more features, and barely improve features we already have. Unfortunately, when a new update comes out you have to decide what is more important: new features or your current theme.
That is the problem, the default theme is a headache to look at, feels like the early 2000s so one does not have a choice but to chose a custom theme, the options available are slim so we tend to hire someone, the problem is it's $30 - $80 bucks everytime something changes due to the weird way that mybb themes works.

phpBB's theme feels better and more standardized to me, I mean I know my way around front-end quite well and I am very comfortable with PHP (I am pragmatic not OOP.), point is whenever I attempt to touch a mybb theme it feels like I suddenly don't know shiat.

Would've been nice if the default theme was something like vanilla Bootstrap 4... and the files contained in a folder so I can fire up phpStorm or heck even brackets, but somehow the theme is a weird XML sheet and edits are done in the adminCP... it's terrible.
(2018-09-19, 04:08 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]That is the problem, the default theme is a headache to look at, feels like the early 2000s so one does not have a choice but to chose a custom theme, the options available are slim so we tend to hire someone, the problem is it's $30 - $80 bucks everytime something changes due to the weird way that mybb themes works.

phpBB's theme feels better and more standardized to me, I mean I know my way around front-end quite well and I am very comfortable with PHP (I am pragmatic not OOP.), point is whenever I attempt to touch a mybb theme it feels like I suddenly don't know shiat.

Would've been nice if the default theme was something like vanilla Bootstrap 4... and the files contained in a folder so I can fire up phpStorm or heck even brackets, but somehow the theme is a weird XML sheet and edits are done in the adminCP... it's terrible.

Are you aware of the fact that when 1.9.xx release comes out around November/December that it will have a responsive theme?

If you truly LOVE phpBB, then why are you here? No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use MyBB. 

I've used phpBB before and I hated its limitations and lack of developer support. 

I'm not going to deep details of what I didn't like about phpBB, but the fact remains (at least for me) is that MyBB does offer far more flexibility than phpBB does.
(2018-09-19, 04:08 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]That is the problem, the default theme is a headache to look at, feels like the early 2000s so one does not have a choice but to chose a custom theme, the options available are slim so we tend to hire someone, the problem is it's $30 - $80 bucks everytime something changes due to the weird way that mybb themes works.

Both the default theme and the entire theme and template system are being replaced in MyBB 1.9. Yes, the current system has a number of issues. But there's really no use in complaining about it at this point because it is being replaced with a more modern, responsive theme and with a modern template system.

I agree the theme/template system can use a total overhaul. But I disagree that the default theme looks ugly! I love the default theme and that was one of the main reasons I picked myBB over phpBB.

The classic, solid, familiar, comfortable feel of the theme is what will keep me with myBB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6