MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there any estimate for mybb 1.9?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi folks

I'm not asking for a date but a time frame if possible.

I read the 1.9 blog article and right near the top is a change on password hashing. I understand the need to upgrade and modernize the current method.
That said I use a custom mod_mysql_auth to authorize users from MyBB to allow them "Basic Apache Auth" to a members area.

If I get it right you're upgrading to bcrypt which is compatible with mod_authn_db and Apache 2.4 which unless there is something extra planned I should be okay.

I guess my questions are:

1) time frame

2) will the new changes be compatible with a direct connection username password (hashed bcrypt) in the user table?

Thanks I know it's impossible to predict the future. I would also be willing to beta test 1.9 in a semi production situation (mods etc).

Kind regards,
Peter
Removed
(2020-03-10, 12:07 AM)Hyperledger Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way I can help with 1.9 development?

https://mybb.com/get-involved/development/
I would like to ask if it would be better to focus on the development of the newer version 1.9. and close the old 1.8.
I have been waiting long enough for version 1.9 (new look, responsiveness), I hope we all will see soon.
There's no point in working on version 1.8, that's just my opinion, it's better to focus time on the latest version 1.9. that everyone is waiting for, if it contains all the elements of a modern forum, I think it will be one of the most downloaded forums.

Thanks
(2020-03-13, 01:39 PM)aker85 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to ask if it would be better to focus on the development of the newer version 1.9. and close the old 1.8.
I have been waiting long enough for version 1.9 (new look, responsiveness), I hope we all will see soon.
There's no point in working on version 1.8, that's just my opinion, it's better to focus time on the latest version 1.9. that everyone is waiting for, if it contains all the elements of a modern forum, I think it will be one of the most downloaded forums.

Thanks

safe word to put is.. The mybb community is dying and not just mybb, other bulletin board also faced the same problem..

Don't expect too much with v1.9
(2020-03-13, 01:39 PM)aker85 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to ask if it would be better to focus on the development of the newer version 1.9. and close the old 1.8.

Thanks
The problem is that even after 1.9 is released, there are going to be forums still using 1.8. We can't just completely drop support for them. In an ideal world, all resources would be focused in one direction, but that's unfortunately not the way things work.
I don't think I could migrate to 1.9 straight away as there are so many features on my forum that simply won't be available on the new software. The big one for me would be xThreads, which is suspect won't be compatible with 1.9 and probably won't see the development of the plugin for the new software

That's not a complaint - I can see a transition in the future and wholly support evolution and development of the software. My point is that many forums stick will stick with 1.8 in the early stages of 1.9 being implemented. It's unfortunate that there would have to be 2 versions maintained, but it will be necessary
(2020-03-14, 02:30 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks
The problem is that even after 1.9 is released, there are going to be forums still using 1.8. We can't just completely drop support for them. In an ideal world, all resources would be focused in one direction, but that's unfortunately not the way things work.

You can if you're willing to be friendly to a 1.8x fork. Toungue
What I'm really looking forward to is the new password hashing.
(2020-03-14, 09:46 PM)Seeker-Smith Wrote: [ -> ]What I'm really looking forward to is the new password hashing.

Easily done with a plugin.

I'd rather see something more advanced like OTP and 2FA. Just hashing the passwords better isn't much of an advancement in the product.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6