MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Threaded view in future myBB releases?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am researching forum software options for a community. I am looking for something that has a threaded view, and I love myBB's way of letting users choose whether they want to view threaded or flat.

But I found something (from three years ago) that says in myBB 2.0 threaded mode is going to be removed.

Is that still true? And if so, how "removed" is it going to be - will the database design and code logic still allow replies in a thread to be children of each-other (so it might be possible to make a theme to bring threaded view back) or is the storage of posts changing in a way that will make threaded themes impossible?
It was a decision, yes. But the fact is 2.0 is postponed for uncertain period while we are smoothing the journey of 'Complete Re-coding' process with steps of feature releases like 1.9, succeeding 1.10.

1.9 is a huge revolution in template / theme system as we are switching to twig. Good news is the template conversion is (you can say) completed. And if you notice the threaded view is still there:
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3064/f...349ca4R440

So, smiley days are still on Big Grin
(2018-06-15, 05:28 AM)ratrat Wrote: [ -> ]I love myBB's way of letting users choose whether they want to view threaded or flat.

But this is a feature that renders "threaded view" pointless. Flat view users will keep replying to the wrong posts, because they do not see any difference. MyBB also has a feature to quote multiple posts at once, which again will not be reflected in a threaded tree structure properly or at all.

Threaded discussion is a very different concept from flat ones. It does not go well together.

It's probably fine if you see threaded more a gimmick than core feature. It might also be fine if you are migrating your community from a threaded solution to flat. New discussions would be flat, but if you want to dive into the old archived threads and make sense of their structure, MyBB could still display the threaded view for it. (Unless it would be removed as you say. You'd have to prevent threaded information to be removed from the database before that update, and then develop a plugin to restore functionality.)

If you are truly looking for a threaded discussion platform, and intend that to be the default mode of operation for your board, then MyBB might not be the best choice for you.
(2018-06-15, 06:04 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]It was a decision, yes. But the fact is 2.0 is postponed for uncertain period while we are smoothing the journey of 'Complete Re-coding' process with steps of feature releases like 1.9, succeeding 1.10.

1.9 is a huge revolution in template / theme system as we are switching to twig. Good news is the template conversion is (you can say) completed. And if you notice the threaded view is still there:
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3064/f...349ca4R440

So, smiley days are still on Big Grin

Sounds promising... thank you! Smile

(2018-06-15, 04:57 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-15, 05:28 AM)ratrat Wrote: [ -> ]I love myBB's way of letting users choose whether they want to view threaded or flat.

But this is a feature that renders "threaded view" pointless. Flat view users will keep replying to the wrong posts, because they do not see any difference. MyBB also has a feature to quote multiple posts at once, which again will not be reflected in a threaded tree structure properly or at all.

If you are truly looking for a threaded discussion platform, and intend that to be the default mode of operation for your board, then MyBB might not be the best choice for you.

This is for a community that has more than a decade-long norm of threaded mode. I suspect most would continue to use threading, and if a few people prefer flat they'd still follow threaded etiquette and reply to the right post.

When it comes to open-source forum software that's under active development and likely to be around for years to come, threaded modes seem hard to come by. SMF doesn't have one, phpBB doesn't have one... Flarum does, but infinite scroll would annoy a lot of people. Beehive and Phorum do but neither has had a release since 2016 so I'm not sure they're a good bet for a community that's going to be around for years to come. The main options seem to be FUDForum or myBB, and myBB seems to be much more pleasant to use!

If you're aware of other threaded options I've missed, please let me know -- but so far myBB seems the nicest!

(Hmm... it seems myBB automatically merges posts within a certain time of each-other, even though I separately clicked reply on frostschutz's and effone's posts like I was using threaded view. Fortunately it sounds like there is an option to turn that off.)