MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disk usage of mysql to forum directory to run mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I don't think that I am getting a satisfactory response in this thread:

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=21190

What I want is to get idea an for the ratio of mysql database to the forum directory used in mybb. I think the best way to do this is to poll people by having them report their mysql usage disk size along with the size of their forum directory.

I think that if enough people report these two numbers, then I would have a good feel for the ratio and how I can expect the database to grow as more people participate on my forums.

If you also want to post the total size of your mysql database and the forum directory, then that would also be valuable since the ratio may change depending on the sizes of the database and the directory.

If you have more than one forum, please pick one forum that receives the most traffic. I realize that you can only vote once.
You should add "none of the above" as that's the only answer I could give.

Every forum is different. If you are attachment heavy then you will have a big file system...

I had one site with 5GB's of attachments and avatars and the database was about 200mb. But I have one site with a 80mb database and it's filesystem is currently at about 25mb. So they are vastly different.

The better question is why are you asking this question?
labrocca Wrote:You should add "none of the above" as that's the only answer I could give.

I don't have none, because I expect my forum and mysql database to grow and I assuming that the forum directory will grow larger than the mysql database over time.

Based on the data, your answer is not NONE. It is 200MB:5000MB which is 1:25 assuming that you are talking about 200 Megabyte and not 200 Megabits. If you are talking about 200Megabit, than your ratio is 25MB:5000MB which is 200:1 Which one is it? I would appreciate it if you would vote so I can gather the statistical data I need to project the amount disk space I will need in the future.

Your other forum is 80MB:25MB. It has a ratio of .3 which is less than 1. Since, I have know idea what these values are, I think the polling intervals are a good place to start.

labrocca Wrote:The better question is why are you asking this question?

I think I explain why I am asking this in the thread.
labrocca Wrote:You should add "none of the above" as that's the only answer I could give.

Every forum is different. If you are attachment heavy then you will have a big file system...

Agreed every forum is different, thats why he is asking the question to see the differences. Not to compare his own forum with one.

I dont see the problem with someone asking for data like this, why you have to question it is beyond me.

MySQL = 25mb
Forums = 1G +

Bare in mind i have the games mod and downloads mod installed.
Forums Directory: ~2GB (there is a lot of leftover junk from previous experiments, etc)
Database Size: ~120MB

plus the database uses about 500MB traffic a day
These forums..

Database: 230mb
Forums Directory: 426mb
The Jackal Wrote:Agreed every forum is different, thats why he is asking the question to see the differences. Not to compare his own forum with one.
What's the point then? If every forum is indeed different then he would not be able to get even an approximate value and his original purpose will not be achieved then.

How do you guys have directories so big? I am starting to think that free hosts won't be able to last forums for long then unless they offer a lot...

Anyway, my forum is new so these are my stats:

Forum Directory: 16.12 MB
Database: 2.06 MB
For DrPoodle.com:

Database: 25MB (GZIP) / 28.38 MB (SQL)
Forum Directory: 52.5 MB