MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: uploading from wamp to a host sever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i tested mybb on wamp server, is it possible to still upload it to a server that will host it with all my settings intact or do i have to install a new one from my cpanel
your MyBB forum can be transferred from wamp server to live web server by following below steps

1] take files backup & database backup from your wamp server
2] upload the files to your web server
3] create a new (empty) database at your web server
4] import database backup (taken from wamp) to live web server
5] change database connecting details in ~/inc/config.php file (see related guidance)
6] change board url, cookie settings in ~/inc/settings.php file (see related guidance here & here)

7] again change board url & cookie settings at Site Details page of Configuration section in forum admin panel

see also relevant guidance => How to change hosts successfully
(2018-06-21, 10:59 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]your MyBB forum can be transferred from wamp server to live web server by following below steps

5] change database connecting details in ~/inc/config.php file (see related guidance)
5] change board url, cookie settings in ~/inc/settings.php file (see related guidance here & here)

6] again change board url & cookie settings at Site Details page of Configuration section in forum admin panel

i never knew it would be this complicated, but if i downloaded it straight from the cpanel...i wont have to do all these settings, right? cause making a transfer from wamp to live web server looks too difficult for me to even consider
it might appear as complex process however a forum administrator is expected to tackle such tasks ...
(2018-06-21, 11:36 AM)bigchief Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-21, 10:59 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]your MyBB forum can be transferred from wamp server to live web server by following below steps

5] change board url, cookie settings in ~/inc/settings.php file (see related guidance here & here)

6] again change board url & cookie settings at Site Details page of Configuration section in forum admin panel

i never knew it would be this complicated, but if i downloaded it straight from the cpanel...i wont have to do all these settings, right? cause making a transfer from wamp to live web server looks too difficult for me to even consider

For example, if your forum that was on the WAMP only had like... say... 5 users, you can probably save the user info on NotePad++.  

Then make a brand new MyBB on the web server, then create those same 5 users (add from AdminCP) from the NotePad++ document and you're done!
(regarding the user's passwords, the database will not show the password because those are encrypted. Just make up a temporary password for each user and inform them by email that they have a temporary password and they can change it back or create a new password)

But... if you have several hundred users, then use .m.'s method. 

You will have to decide what you need to do. 

It's not that complicated... the most important thing is to be patient and do one step at a time. DO NOT RUSH OR SKIP A STEP!