MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lite (Archive) Mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone even use the Lite mode? We should remove this for 1.9.
Never saw a use for it, so I'm for getting rid of it.
The most I ever use this is when I click on a forum link on a search engine and I'm given the lite mode. From there, I instantly switch to the full version. I support getting rid of it. As of 1.9 with the responsive theme there's not much need IMO.
Not sure of its purpose. Slow internet connection or printing? If the lite mode is meant for clean printing then this should be handled with @media print queries.
This is a yes from me.
I used to enjoy that I could set search engines to use lite mode, so as to not download excessive CSS/JS that they can’t use anyway. I’m not against removing it, and as @effone said, use @media queries for printing.
(2018-06-25, 01:34 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure of its purpose. Slow internet connection or printing? If the lite mode is meant for clean printing then this should be handled with @media print queries.
This is a yes from me.

I support this option of leaving the decision to the admin of the website. 

I have seen a number of MyBB websites that are geared towards people who are disabled in some form. Some MyBB academic websites don't require pictures and/or graphics. 

My wife is legally blind and she uses JAWS to read back whatever is being shown on the website including pictures and graphics, which she really doesn't need or want.
'Lite Mode' eliminates all of that and presents the website in text so it's easier for my wife to go through the website.

I support the option in AdminCP for the admin to turn the option on or off the 'Lite Mode' depending on the purposes of the website.
I removed the link to it after asking my members. None of them ever used it or knew what it's purpose was.

I've also found I get a lot of not found errors on Google tools.

So I would say dump it or give the Admin a choice. But definitely don't include it as default.
(2018-06-25, 12:00 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-25, 01:34 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure of its purpose. Slow internet connection or printing? If the lite mode is meant for clean printing then this should be handled with @media print queries.
This is a yes from me.

I support this option of leaving the decision to the admin of the website. 

I have seen a number of MyBB websites that are geared towards people who are disabled in some form. Some MyBB academic websites don't require pictures and/or graphics. 

My wife is legally blind and she uses JAWS to read back whatever is being shown on the website including pictures and graphics, which she really doesn't need or want.
'Lite Mode' eliminates all of that and presents the website in text so it's easier for my wife to go through the website.

I support the option in AdminCP for the admin to turn the option on or off the 'Lite Mode' depending on the purposes of the website.

If this is the case I’d say turn this feature into a plugin or it could possibly work as it’s own theme.
I echo that it should be either a theme or @media filters in existing themes.
If it is an accessibility feature, it should definitely*not* be an optional plugin but provided as a core function.
Pages: 1 2