MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to properly configure multiple mirrors of the forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I'm trying to establish a setup where a few domains point to the same forum. This isn't for development or backup purpose but to circumvent censorship in some countries. To clarify:
example.com   ->  
example.onion ->  | same forum |
another.net      ->  

So the question is how to properly configure MyBB for this task? As I understand, MyBB supports only single Forum URL.

My hosting is a VPS with Docker support. So I'm considering the following scheme:
1. Single Nginx container to handle and route all the requests
2. php-fpm container per each domain with separate instance of MyBB so it can have proper configuration for this particular domain
3. Single database to store all the data

Is this a viable approach? Are there any hidden pitfalls?
Can this be optimized to avoid a container per domain? Like, advanced Nginx config to convert URLs and cookies back and forth?

Thanks in advance,
DTG
not sure about NGINX configuration for above requirement. you can try using ABP multi domain plugin
(2018-06-26, 03:29 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]not sure about NGINX configuration for above requirement. you can try using ABP multi domain plugin

Can this be done using sub-domains? Have those sub-domains point to the same DB would look like a logical route to take.
(2018-06-26, 02:50 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-26, 03:29 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]not sure about NGINX configuration for above requirement. you can try using ABP multi domain plugin

Can this be done using sub-domains? Have those sub-domains point to the same DB would look like a logical route to take.
No as the settings table requires specific information such as the URL. I’ve never seen this done with a MyBB forum though... will see if I can find a way.
Thanks for the replies!

Need to check this out, though looks like it is from 2015...

(2018-06-26, 02:50 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Can this be done using sub-domains? Have those sub-domains point to the same DB would look like a logical route to take.

Sub-domains are not enough - need to use completely independent domains.

(2018-06-26, 03:57 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]No as the settings table requires specific information such as the URL. I’ve never seen this done with a MyBB forum though... will see if I can find a way.

If Forum URL is stored in DB that would be a PITA Sad I was hoping to keep separate settings.php and the same db. Though probably this can still be achieved with relatively small code modification?
Update:

1. ABP multidomain plugin doesn't work for me (SQL error)
  2. I have tried using the forum with empty baseurl. It seems to work and becomes accessible from different domain names. So what are the consequences of using empty baseurl?

So far I have noticed only "View Forum" link at ACP becomes invalid (points to current url).