MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: $1000 Reward for 1.9x Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Personally I feel that we have a good chance of having a beta ready by the end of August/the start of September. I hope that by that point all we will be doing is ironing out bugs found with the increased testing and attention that 1.9.0 should be getting after we have a demo board online.

As Eric said, we're pretty much done with the new theme, which is the major part of 1.9. The work that's left is mostly minor infrastructure work around this theme (eg: rewriting the "find_replace_templatesets()" function to edit Twig files rather than database rows - not a big job at all, and easily done in a morning of work).

I'm currently writing a development update three that outlines exactly what work is left and how we plan to complete said work.

If anybody does want to contribute monetarily to the project, I prompt you to explore the OpenCollective. The money that is raised through OpenCollective goes straight to Chris and is used to pay for infrastructure such as the CloudFlare plan, the servers the forum and related project sites run on, domain renewals, etc. Most of the official infrastructure is paid for out of pocket by Chris so any donation there are greatly appreciated I'm sure.
(2018-07-01, 01:26 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.  

I want 1.9x and maybe a reward for a release is what will help make it happen.

If by Sept 1, 2018 1.9.0 is officially released I will donate $1000. $500 to the MyBB project, $250 to Euan, and $250 to Justin.  

Euan is doing the bulk of the coding and Justin is doing the theme work.

If you can release 1.9x by the date I will make BTC payments to those mentioned.

Can MyBB be inspired by this reward? I hope so.

EDIT: btw, this is contingent on the 1.9x release being a default responsive theme that's fully functional.

While this is commendable on your part, @labrocca, I do not think that the MyBB developers will be able to meet the September 1st goal.

It would be nice, yes, but realistic? No.

All you have to do is take a look at the fiasco of the 1.8.16 release and all of the issues that went with it. Now, there is a hotfix to address all of those issues from that release.

Imagine releasing the 1.9.0 version, how many issues will pop up? It will be a lot. Will it be a "finished" product? No, far from it.

So, your September 1st release date will be missed and you won't donate your money.

I'd go with Euan's recommendation of donating to the OpenCollective in post #11.

Just saying...
(2018-07-06, 01:16 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-01, 01:26 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.  

If by Sept 1, 2018 1.9.0 is officially released I will donate $1000. $500 to the MyBB project, $250 to Euan, and $250 to Justin.  

If you can release 1.9x by the date I will make BTC payments to those mentioned.

EDIT: btw, this is contingent on the 1.9x release being a default responsive theme that's fully functional.

While this is commendable on your part, @labrocca, I do not think that the MyBB developers will be able to meet the September 1st goal.

All you have to do is take a look at the fiasco of the 1.8.16 release and all of the issues that went with it. Now, there is a hotfix to address all of those issues from that release.

Imagine releasing the 1.9.0 version, how many issues will pop up? It will be a lot. Will it be a "finished" product? No, far from it.

So, your September 1st release date will be missed and you won't donate your money.

I'd go with Euan's recommendation of donating to the OpenCollective in post #11.

Just saying...

Just for the record, we have tried to get members to help in testing of versions pre release but we have been unsuccessful with getting much community involvement. We are also currently exploring other options pre-release to make things go smoother.
(2018-07-06, 02:39 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Just for the record, we have tried to get members to help in testing of versions pre release but we have been unsuccessful with getting much community involvement. We are also currently exploring other options pre-release to make things go smoother.

I was going to use one of my subdomains to duplicate my website and do the testing from there, but then... I realized that the test website will not get any traffic at all, thus, no new threads/posts that would mimic the real website.

I would need this to happen (on the subdomain) so that would give me a good indication if an update is functioning properly.

If there was a way to do this using a subdomain, then someone needs to share that information with me.
(2018-07-06, 03:00 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-06, 02:39 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Just for the record, we have tried to get members to help in testing of versions pre release but we have been unsuccessful with getting much community involvement. We are also currently exploring other options pre-release to make things go smoother.

I was going to use one of my subdomains to duplicate my website and do the testing from there, but then... I realized that the test website will not get any traffic at all, thus, no new threads/posts that would mimic the real website.

I would need this to happen (on the subdomain) so that would give me a good indication if an update is functioning properly.

If there was a way to do this using a subdomain, then someone needs to share that information with me.

I don't understand what you're really asking here. a test forum, or a backup of your main forum, should not have the same level of traffic that your live site has. after all, it is a backup/test forum..

the community forums here were updated 4-5 days before 1.8.16 was released. I don't think any of the bugs were spotted before then.
(2018-07-07, 07:21 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't understand what you're really asking here.  a test forum, or a backup of your main forum, should not have the same level of traffic that your live site has.  after all, it is a backup/test forum..

the community forums here were updated 4-5 days before 1.8.16 was released.  I don't think any of the bugs were spotted before then.

Hmm... doesn't MyBB.com use their own default theme?
If so, the problems didn't show up because a large majority of the problems of the 1.8.16 release were coming from Admins using the non-default themes.

That's a HUGE difference. That's one of the major reasons why the bugs weren't spotted before the 1.8.16 release.

I did notice one bug before July 4th, but I didn't report it because I thought it was due to user permissions. The Report post button issue.
I assumed before that somewhere along the line, the admins of MyBB decided that some users weren't given permission to report posts.
However, that was not the case, it's an actual bug because I saw the same thing on my website after I did the 1.8.16 upgrade.

So, there were issues spotted before July 4th, but some of us didn't realize it was due to the 1.8.16 release.
When those same issues hit our websites, then we knew something was wrong.
(2018-07-07, 09:11 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-07, 07:21 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't understand what you're really asking here.  a test forum, or a backup of your main forum, should not have the same level of traffic that your live site has.  after all, it is a backup/test forum..

the community forums here were updated 4-5 days before 1.8.16 was released.  I don't think any of the bugs were spotted before then.

Hmm... doesn't MyBB.com use their own default theme?
If so, the problems didn't show up because a large majority of the problems of the 1.8.16 release were coming from Admins using the non-default themes.

That's a HUGE difference. That's one of the major reasons why the bugs weren't spotted before the 1.8.16 release.

I did notice one bug before July 4th, but I didn't report it because I thought it was due to user permissions. The Report post button issue.
I assumed before that somewhere along the line, the admins of MyBB decided that some users weren't given permission to report posts.
However, that was not the case, it's an actual bug because I saw the same thing on my website after I did the 1.8.16 upgrade.

So, there were issues spotted before July 4th, but some of us didn't realize it was due to the 1.8.16 release.
When those same issues hit our websites, then we knew something was wrong.

there's a lot of variables when testing a new upgrade release. we caught and fixed a few issues before we released but ultimately missed a few as well. I think 1 of the bugs was related to the old version of google recaptcha that google retired and stop giving keys out for. there really wasn't a reasonable way for us to test this, I don't think.

we're going to release 1.8.17 soon to address the bugs caused by .16.
(2018-07-06, 01:16 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Just saying...

I don't see 1.9 being released in an unfinished state. MyBB doesn't have a history of doing this and I don't see them starting now.

All software has a bad release once in a while. I've seen commercial software have to be repackaged two or three times to address issues with the original release. It happens.
I'd also like to take the chance to point to our donations page on the main website too since I was recently reminded of it: https://mybb.com/about/donations/ - we have a couple of projects that several of the team use and personally support and that we like to direct members towards.
(2018-07-09, 07:57 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'd also like to take the chance to point to our donations page on the main website too since I was recently reminded of it: https://mybb.com/about/donations/ - we have a couple of projects that several of the team use and personally support and that we like to direct members towards.

Honestly, I was NOT aware that there was a Donate page for MyBB development.
Had I known about this, I would have donated long time ago.

I will plan to do that in a few weeks.

Maybe the admins of MyBB want to do something like this?

[Image: c1a30805614bb3aab8ba9a48fb6502ab.png]

That way EVERYONE can see it and it's out there in the open for all to see.

You can also put that in the Home portal page as well.
Pages: 1 2 3