MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Get rid of annoying alerts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever a user does something that triggers a database query, MyBB often seems to display an alert, similar to the following:

Thank you, your search has been submitted and you will now be taken to the results list.

Click here if you don't want to wait any longer.

This message appears after a search, and also after clicking on "View new posts", "View today's posts", "Find all posts", and several other places. A similar alert appears after the user logs in.

Is there a good reason for this message to be constantly displayed? And is there a way to suppress it?

The alert seems to me to be unnecessary and counter-productive. Even with a fairly slow server, the query is rarely likely to take more than a few hundred milliseconds - scarcely noticeable to the average user. But having to read the message and then click on the link or wait until it disappears is a distraction - an extra couple of steps for the user to go through.

In the interests of streamlining the user experience, I would like to get rid of these alerts in my forum - unless there is a good reason not to. I'd be grateful for any help.

(Edit: I just noticed another alert after clicking on "Sumbit Thread". This says something to the effect that your thread has been submitted and you are now being taken back to the forum. Again, this seems totally unnecessary.)

Mike
Turn off "Show friendly redirect page" from User CP > Edit options
Or disable it from ACP > General Configuration to take effect globally for all users.
Excellent, Offone. Many thanks.

I had been wondering what "Friendly Redirection Pages" was all about, but hadn't got round to asking. Now I know.

Mike
If you want to disable "friendly" redirection pages but still display a feedback about your actions, you can try Inline Success Messages.
Offone  Wink I like it
(2018-07-02, 01:20 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to disable "friendly" redirection pages but still display a feedback about your actions, you can try Inline Success Messages.

My inclination is not to have any of this kind of feedback - but I'll take a look at Inline Success Messages and decide then. Thanks for telling me about it.

Mike

(2018-07-02, 01:40 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Offone  Wink I like it

Well, it was a genuine mistake on my part, but as long as you are happy .....

Mike
(2018-07-02, 01:40 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Offone  Wink I like it

Isn't that a common phrase used often in MyBB?

Hey, you're off one in your code! Rolleyes