MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Broken site with Chrome, issues still on other browsers.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Huh

The site address is https://www.mesalia.net/forum/index.php  
The MyBB version is 1.8.16.
The theme is a 1.8 one.

My site is very broken and I struggle to find where the issue(s) lie. There might be multiple, they may be related. I will try to go through every error I've found step by step as well as tell you everything I've tried to fix this so far. 

I started looking into this when the page wouldn't load at all at first.

Chrome...
  1. Throws an HTTP ERROR 341 upon attempting to post anything, thread or post.
  2. Used to throw an HTTP ERROR 341 upon clicking any of the subforum links. For some reason this stopped, for now, I don't know why.
  3. Can't handle editing posts. In order to edit a post 2 times, you need to hit refresh or the editor will show the un-edited post. I'm using the default editor cause any of the other ones I tried from Extend worked 10 times worse.
  4. Doesn't post in the DVZ shoutbox. This *might* be plugin-specific, can be skipped in that case and I'll bring it up with the plugin author.
Firefox...
  1. Jumps the login popup to the bottom of the screen, then maybe shows it and maybe doesn't (it varies) then freezes at the bottom of the page.
  2. Has issues with deactivating and uninstalling plugins in the control panel, I had to attempt it multiple times after it either did nothing or threw me out of the panel for invalid admin session at every single attempt *sweats*.
Any browser...
  1. Doesn't allow the user to log in and throws either the HTTP ERROR 341 or an authorization error.
  2. Jumps the login popup to the bottom of the page.
  3. Throws an error popup complaining on not using the function correctly when trying to log out. Does log out though.
  4. A user recently expressed issues adding images/pictures to a thread/post.
I have tried (far as I can remember atm)...
  • Contacting the host. No errors on their side at all, everything working as normal.
  • Removed the header image that was admittedly way too large and re-sized in CSS, I hadn't gotten to adjusting the image yet. I thought it was the issue given the HTTP ERROR 341 thrown upon trying to load the page after a refresh or clicking anything on it. Might it have been part of the issue?
  • Restarted my computer, yes yes I did try that. You never know right?
  • Re-installing Chrome.
  • Uninstalling Avast.
  • Disabling all Chrome extensions.
  • Flushed my DNS.
  • Erased the whole internet history, cache, etc, just to be sure.
  • Asked my users, confirming the issue lies not just with my computer.
  • Uninstalled all site-plugins.
  • Updated all outdated plugins to their latest versions.
  • Messed about with browser security stuff, no results or changes after allowing the site everything.
  • Checked the "find edited templates", couldn't find anything that looked inherently or obviously fishy. But I'm not an expert, I'll admit.
Theory:
I personally fear the theme is broken after the few latest updates. Though some of the issues don't seem to fit that theory? Maybe it's the JS? Cookie handling? Either way... I need help. And I will really appreciate any given. Thanks in advance.
Wow. It is sure nice coming across a detailed thread.

Could you PM me / post a test account so I can take a look at some of these issues?
I have sent you the PM. Thank you for the quick response.
We're familiar with some of those - see https://community.mybb.com/thread-213964...pid1288154 (missing CSS code) for the login popup position issue, and https://community.mybb.com/thread-218460...pid1308277 (missing codes in templates) for the authorization error on login (this one is related to some problems with the 1.8.16 release).
ACP appearing unresponsive after performing some actions may be related to some caching mechanisms (e.g. Varnish - you might be able to find some cache-related options in the host control panel).

Also have a look at Find Updated Templates in ACP - some outdated ones may cause the board to work incorrectly and if no changes are shown for the Default theme (or are reverted to original), it's worth checking the forum on Default to see if some problems are related to the theme.
(2018-07-06, 09:19 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]We're familiar with some of those - see https://community.mybb.com/thread-213964...pid1288154 (missing CSS code) for the login popup position issue, and https://community.mybb.com/thread-218460...pid1308277 (missing codes in templates) for the authorization error on login (this one is related to some problems with the 1.8.16 release).
ACP appearing unresponsive after performing some actions may be related to some caching mechanisms (e.g. Varnish - you might be able to find some cache-related options in the host control panel).

Also have a look at Find Updated Templates in ACP - some outdated ones may cause the board to work incorrectly and if no changes are shown for the Default theme (or are reverted to original), it's worth checking the forum on Default to see if some problems are related to the theme.

Thank you! If Ben has no luck I'll try these in the morning, I'm in EU and it's a bit late I'm afraid. I will post my findings here after in that case. Have a good night!
So I have gone through the solutions offered and this has gone very well. Solved all the problems!

As for the editor it might be worth to know that reverting the theme's template for editing posts did the trick!

Thank you for the help!