MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guests "can view threads" option not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically, I just want to disable the 'Can view threads' option in the Admin CP for the Guests user group but for some reason, when I toggle it off, it doesn't apply any changes. Guests can still view threads. Right now it's turned off, so guests shouldn't be able to view threads, but I bet you can read this thread: https://leetforums.net/showthread.php?tid=192

I'm down to create a test account for anyone that could be of assistance in helping me find the problem. My guess would be plugin conflict, but I could be wrong.
I've just tested that usergroup emission on my test board locally and it seems to be working fine for me. Have you checked to see if you perhaps have any custom user group permissions set for guests on a per-forum basis (to do so, click on a forum within the ACP > Forums & Posts, then click on the "Permissions" tab and see if there is a link to "Clear Custom Permissions" for the guest group)?

If you don't have any custom permissions set on forums that might cause this, can you share your plugin list please?
(2018-07-10, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tested that usergroup emission on my test board locally and it seems to be working fine for me. Have you checked to see if you perhaps have any custom user group permissions set for guests on a per-forum basis (to do so, click on a forum within the ACP > Forums & Posts, then click on the "Permissions" tab and see if there is a link to "Clear Custom Permissions" for the guest group)?

If you don't have any custom permissions set on forums that might cause this, can you share your plugin list please?

Turns out it was indeed the custom permissions conflicting with the default group perms. Is there any way to get the threads to appear for guests, but once trying to view, they're prompted to login?

Rather than the look of an empty board to guests.
(2018-07-10, 07:06 PM)leetforums Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-10, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tested that usergroup emission on my test board locally and it seems to be working fine for me. Have you checked to see if you perhaps have any custom user group permissions set for guests on a per-forum basis (to do so, click on a forum within the ACP > Forums & Posts, then click on the "Permissions" tab and see if there is a link to "Clear Custom Permissions" for the guest group)?

Turns out it was indeed the custom permissions conflicting with the default group perms. Is there any way to get the threads to appear for guests, but once trying to view, they're prompted to login?

There's no way built into the core I'm afraid, though it should be possible with a plugin. I'm not sure if such a plugin currently exists publicly.
(2018-07-10, 07:24 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

There's no way built into the core I'm afraid, though it should be possible with a plugin. I'm not sure if such a plugin currently exists publicly.

I found this little guy: https://community.mybb.com/thread-58893.html

I've applied the change in forumdisplay.php but guests are still unable to view the topic lists. Any suggestions?
(2018-07-10, 07:46 PM)leetforums Wrote: [ -> ]

I've applied the change in forumdisplay.php but guests are still unable to view the topic lists. Any suggestions?

Try this: https://community.mybb.com/thread-58893-...#pid609154 Looks more realistic.
(2018-07-10, 10:27 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-10, 07:46 PM)leetforums Wrote: [ -> ]

Try this: https://community.mybb.com/thread-58893-...#pid609154 Looks more realistic.

Still no luck with that response.

Edit: It works out, but it appears the problem is MyTabs. It shows all forums and tabs are useless when Hide Private Forums is toggled off.