MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MentionMe interfering with Guest Posting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!  I recently install MentionMe, and it seemed to be working without issue until I discovered that it's apparently interfering with the ability of guests to create posts.  I've attempted several test posts as a guest, and the error message I receive upon posting is as follows:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getByCode() on boolean in /inc/plugins/MentionMe/alerts.php on line 118

I've gotten reasonably good with figuring out some of the strange errors I manage to create, but this one has me stumped.  Everything's fine when I deactivate MentionMe, and the error cites it, so I assume that's where my problem is.  I appreciate any insight!
(2018-07-12, 01:02 AM)getinkshedtears Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!  I recently install MentionMe, and it seemed to be working without issue until I discovered that it's apparently interfering with the ability of guests to create posts.  I've attempted several test posts as a guest, and the error message I receive upon posting is as follows:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getByCode() on boolean in /home/quisquou/public_html/id/inc/plugins/MentionMe/alerts.php on line 118

I've gotten reasonably good with figuring out some of the strange errors I manage to create, but this one has me stumped.  Everything's fine when I deactivate MentionMe, and the error cites it, so I assume that's where my problem is.  I appreciate any insight!

I don't know the answer to that, however, you should have hidden the /quisquou/ folder by blanking it out or inputting Xs in it's place.
You don't want hackers to know your real folder names.
(2018-07-12, 01:50 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know the answer to that, however, you should have hidden the /quisquou/ folder by blanking it out or inputting Xs in it's place.

Mine's an easy edit of a hasty copypaste, but you've quoted me.  Want to delete yours, too?

(Edit -- thanks though.  I was having a minor freakout; this is the latest in several issues that I'm pretty sure the latest update has caused ...)
(2018-07-12, 02:13 AM)getinkshedtears Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-12, 01:50 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know the answer to that, however, you should have hidden the /quisquou/ folder by blanking it out or inputting Xs in it's place.

Mine's an easy edit of a hasty copypaste, but you've quoted me.  Want to delete yours, too?

(Edit -- thanks though.  I was having a minor freakout; this is the latest in several issues that I'm pretty sure the latest update has caused ...)

I've already renamed my admin folder TWICE since I first started using MyBB.
Security is top priority for my website. It should be for yours as well.

Speaking of website security, this PAGE should be "mandatory" reading for all admins.
(2018-07-12, 02:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-12, 02:13 AM)getinkshedtears Wrote: [ -> ]

I've already renamed my admin folder TWICE since I first started using MyBB.
Security is top priority for my website. It should be for yours as well.

Speaking of website security, this PAGE should be "mandatory" reading for all admins.

Excellent advice, thank you.
I've patched that bug, but haven't has a chance to release.

Here is the fix: https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Mentio...enance.zip
(2018-07-12, 02:59 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I've patched that bug, but haven't has a chance to release.

Here is the fix: https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Mentio...enance.zip

Fantastic, thank you!  And a relief -- I was sure I'd installed something that was interfering with it and was dreading trying to figure out what it was.

Thanks for your wonderful and well-maintained plugins!
You are very welcome.

Apologies for not having this released already.