MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should i revert to original admin dir name for upgrade needing script?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When i installed mybb i read the instructions for more security and renamed my admin dir and installed honeypot as instructed.

Now i read that this 1.8.16 upgrade needs script.... Of course if i just needed to replace files i would just upload new files manually to my renamed admin dir but i'm wondering if for the install script maybe i should delete honeypot and rename the modified admin dir back to "admin" before running the script?

And another newbie question. Should i also maybe remove password protection from the admin dir for the time of the upgrade or that won't be a problem?

I would just like to make sure if i mess up something it's not because of these modifications, thanks Smile
No, that's not necessary. I ran all the updates since 1.4.x with a changed admin directory name and the scripts always picked up on that and didn't complain.
I suggest, however, that you wait until the hotfixes in 1.8.17 are released, 1.8.16 has a few issues.
(2018-07-12, 06:08 AM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]No, that's not necessary. I ran all the updates since 1.4.x with a changed admin directory name and the scripts always picked up on that and didn't complain.
I suggest, however, that you wait until the hotfixes in 1.8.17 are released, 1.8.16 has a few issues.

Thanks a lot Big Grin
(2018-07-12, 05:43 AM)Johnny98 Wrote: [ -> ]When I installed MyBB I read the instructions for more security and renamed my admin dir and installed honeypot as instructed.

Now I read that this 1.8.16 upgrade needs a script... Of course, if I just needed to replace files I would just upload new files manually to my renamed admin dir but I'm wondering if for the install script maybe I should delete honeypot and rename the modified admin dir back to "admin" before running the script?

And another newbie question. Should I also maybe remove password protection from the admin dir for the time of the upgrade or that won't be a problem?

I would just like to make sure if I mess up something it's not because of these modifications, thanks Smile

When it comes to things like scripts, linguist is correct, however, when it comes to plugins that require adding files to the 'admin' folder (original default, not from the ACP Honeyspot plugin), then you will have to manually insert the files into the renamed 'admin' folder in order for the plugin to work.

For example...

Your renamed the default 'admin' folder to 'xyz098' as you did for the ACP Honeyspot plugin.

You found a plugin called 'Great' plugin and this plugin requires additional files to be inserted into the 'admin' folder for the 'Great' plugin to work properly.
You proceed to follow the instructions of the 'Great' plugin, but those files were inserted into the fake 'admin' folder that was created by the ACP Honeyspot plugin, which is what you do not want!
Those files are supposed to go into the 'xyz098' folder.

The best way is using your FTP client program and manually insert the files from the 'Great' plugin admin folder into your 'xyz098' folder so that everything will work as advertised.

Yes, it can be a pain in the rear, but doing it manually will assure that the plugin will work and not disturb the fake 'admin' folder.

As long you have modified the config.php file to change the original 'admin' folder name to 'xyz098', as shown in the screenshot, you're good to go!

(you can disregard the 'prefix' stuff)
[Image: 0a27e30238d5da54bca47a03956a1073.png]