MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RELEASE: IPLog Plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
UPDATE
This plugin has been updated to version 1.4, this version fixes a potential MYISAM issue with the database.

It is recommended that all users update to this release as soon as possible by using the instructions in the readme provided.

The original post has been updated to reflect these changes.
Thanks yet again MrDoom.

Fishntassie
General Question:

I have one registered visitor on a regular base. I can see when he visits the Forum when checking the "Who's Online [Complete List]" Section. Let's call him "Eric":
---
Ernie 01:05
Eric 01:03
tyneff 00:45
---

The funny thing is, that his IP is registered in my Server Log:
---
adsl-69-219-xxx-xx.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net - - [9/Nov/2007:01:03:29 +0100] "GET /forum/syndication.php?limit=15 HTTP/1.1" 200 31225 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9"
---
but the "IPLog" Plugin does not register his IP. Any other visitor IP is recognized and registered. He visits my Site every hour, but he does not exist anywhere.

Example "IPLog":
---
11.06.2007 at 11:13 Ernie 85.x.xxx.xx
11.06.2007 at 17:52 Ernie 85.x.xxx.xxx
11.06.2007 at 22:56 Ernie 85.x.xxx.x
11.08.2007 at 12:44 Len 90.xxx.xxx.xxx
11.08.2007 at 15:48 Ernie 85.x.xx.xxx
Today at 00:45 tyneff 76.xxx.xx.xxx
Today at 01:05 Ernie 85.x.xxx.xxx
---
Important to know, "Eric" is not coming trough a Proxy.
He is a rather competent Hacker.

So he may be able to hide the IP by using Firefox with some hiding mechanism, but how should Firefox (or any other prog) be able to hide to IP as registered in the Server Log?
Is it "Who's Online [Complete List]" wich gets the IP Information in a way wich can be made "Hidden", depending on what Browser the visitor chooses, or does anyone know how this is beeing done?!

I know "Eric" and I could ask him. But I rather would like to "break" his little secrets instead of telling him that I wonder. It's more fun.

Thank you

Ernie
Well the plugin uses the same function to get the users IP as the MyBB who's online list, so I don't know why that would be.
Thank you for your information. I have found out, that if registered Forum Users call the "syndication.php" trough a Feed Reader in order to receive updated RSS Information, then they are not logged by IP Number. So, I had to check the Server Log in order to get access-infos.

Ernie
That's interesting, I wasn't aware that users were able to use their forum accounts in RSS Readers.

Regardless, this information would not have been logged unless they actually logged in everytime the RSS Reader updated.
When I check who was onlne during the day, I find the LAST Visit registered ( None of the older visits) shown with the Username. In The Serverlog, the link called is like:

.../forum/syndication.php?limit=15

So, the Forum Script does probably NOT check the full User-ID, but only checks and compares the username in order to present the categories this user has preprogrammed to view by RSS Feed.

At least this the way I understand this could work.

So, since the user does NOT log in for this Action, there is no Log Entry.

am I right or am I right?

Ernie
Mrdoom,

is it possible to move the iplog menu up to like the top half of the list of menus? I don't like having it at the bottom because I'll forget it's there. =(

BTW, nice plugin. I like how the username is attached with the IP. Thanks for the awesome plugin!
can you update this plugin for MyBB 1.4 ?
Pages: 1 2 3