MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB definitely a frustrating experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After all of these years of development one would think that at least with a fresh up to date install of myBB everything will work OK.

After a brand-new install of the latest version of myBB and after creating the Forum from the Admin Dashboard technically all I have to do is click on "view forum" and it should open up with me as a user.  That didn't happen.  Then when I tried to log in this is the very irritating message that came up:

Quote:Authorization code mismatch. Are you accessing this function correctly? Please go back and try again.

Why is myBB so complicated.  Like to upload a simple plugin (compared with WordPress and even phpBB) is a pain.  How many steps did I have to follow to finally get the DVZ Shoutbox up - but that doesn't want to run for now as I am completely unable as Admin to get into the Forum.  I also tried to create a new member with admin status and that didn't help either.

If I compare this experience with my effortless phpBB experience a few months ago, wow, myBB has more plugins available, but it's processes are cumbersome.

Do I need to create the Forum from scratch again or what is happening.  Why is there an authorization code mismatch?
Thank you for the prompt response. Now for the next question - where do I find these templates? Like they don't come up logically under the templates in the Admin Dashboard. Are they hidden under the ones that are there?

error_nopermission
header_welcomeblock_guest
member_login
portal_welcome_guesttext

Wow! You can't believe how frustrating and disappointing this is.

OK I finally find "error_nopermission" and now the instructions say to add code to this portion:

<form action="member.php">

But this is what appears in the template of my installation instead:

<form action="member.php" method="post">

So where do I insert the missing code? After "post" or before "method"?
(2018-07-29, 01:12 PM)hellsing Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the prompt response.  Now for the next question - where do I find these templates?  Like they don't come up logically under the templates in the Admin Dashboard.  Are they hidden under the ones that are there?

error_nopermission
member_login
portal_welcome_guesttext

Wow!  You can't believe how frustrating and disappointing this is.

Wow, I can't believe that you didn't take the time to read up on some of these threads that give you the answers to your questions.

Let the Search be your friend.

error_nopermission = Error Message Templates
header_welcomeblock_guest = Header Templates
member_login = Member Templates
portal_welcome_guesttext = Portal Templates

Had you done some searching on your own, you would have found the answers that I just provided for you.
I seem to have fixed it now, but have lost major confidence in myBB script. Have a terrible feeling this will catch up with a next release? Like this is tweaking manually and fiddling under the dashboard. It makes sense that when I want to upgrade the release there may be issues because of the tweaking? Or not?
(2018-07-29, 01:12 PM)hellsing Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the prompt response.  Now for the next question - where do I find these templates?  Like they don't come up logically under the templates in the Admin Dashboard.  Are they hidden under the ones that are there?

error_nopermission
member_login
portal_welcome_guesttext

Wow!  You can't believe how frustrating and disappointing this is.

OK I finally find "error_nopermission" and now the instructions say to add code to this portion:

<form action="member.php">

But this is what appears in the template of my installation instead:

<form action="member.php" method="post">

So where do I insert the missing code?  After "post" or before "method"?

If you READ the instructions as posted in this THREAD.

[Image: 072daa6f50ba317ddf33c02545803725.png]

See the words 'Add after'? 

That's where you put the code. He calls it 'token', it's basically the same thing.

(2018-07-29, 01:29 PM)hellsing Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to have fixed it now, but have lost major confidence in myBB script.  Have a terrible feeling this will catch up with a next release?  Like this is tweaking manually and fiddling under the dashboard.  It makes sense that when I want to upgrade the release there may be issues because of the tweaking?  Or not?

Seriously? 

Was it because you didn't take the time to READ the instructions? 

But you did... now it's fixed. 

So what seems to be the problem now?

If you want a "plug -n- play" program where you don't have to do any thinking, then you're in the wrong business.
@Serpius Why do I need to read anything when I install a script? Like shouldn't it work as a script completely without having to update it when it is a new and fresh install? Like when I click on the "download" it should be OK from the word go. If not then it needs to be fixed - not tweaked on the user end.

Also, trying to find the templates aren't easy. I had to search for them.
(2018-07-29, 01:33 PM)hellsing Wrote: [ -> ]@Serpius  Why do I need to read anything when I install a script?  Like shouldn't it work as a script completely without having to update it when it is a new and fresh install?  Like when I click on the "download" it should be OK from the word go.  If not then it needs to be fixed - not tweaked on the user end.

Also, trying to find the templates aren't easy.  I had to search for them.

"Why do I need to read anything when I install a script?"

Why were you installing a script? For what purpose?

"Why do I need to read anything..." Seriously?

It's like putting together a 5-drawer dresser without reading the instructions. It would be very difficult to do! It can be done, but it would take you 2-3 times longer.
To clarify, you done a fresh install and the "Authorization code mismatch" appeared? What version did you freshly install? If you done a fresh install on the latest version of MyBB this would not occur, especially on the default theme. MyBB cannot automatically update the templates for custom themes as that may further break forums when upgrading.

In terms of the complexity of how MyBB runs, there's a whole documentation for that. I can link you to it, but I cannot make you read it.
(2018-07-30, 07:13 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of the complexity of how MyBB runs, there's a whole documentation for that. I can link you to it, but I cannot make you read it.

You took the words right out of my mouth!