MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.14 Registration mails not sent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

We have been using MyBB for quite some time now without any major issues. However, out of the blue registration emails are no longer being sent to users, so we're forced to activate their accounts manually.

We use PHP as mail handler, we made sure php's mail() function is working properly by using a simple php script (so our hosting provider is not to blame, isn't it?). We also set the admin email to [email protected], as we read that using a different domain could cause trouble.

All in all, I'm completely clueless as to what could be causing this, specially because it worked just fine a couple weeks ago, and no one has changed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2018-07-29, 03:17 PM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

We have been using MyBB for quite some time now without any major issues. However, out of the blue registration emails are no longer being sent to users, so we're forced to activate their accounts manually.

We use PHP as mail handler, we made sure php's mail() function is working properly by using a simple php script (so our hosting provider is not to blame, isn't it?). We also set the admin email to [email protected], as we read that using a different domain could cause trouble.

All in all, I'm completely clueless as to what could be causing this, specially because it worked just fine a couple weeks ago, and no one has changed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you taken a look at the System Email log as shown in the screenshot?

What errors are you seeing?

[Image: afd69cd1dfc52233991f8f87d1f7c4f2.png]
(2018-07-29, 03:31 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: afd69cd1dfc52233991f8f87d1f7c4f2.png]

No errors at all, looks just like your screenie. Seems like MyBB didn't even try to send the emails.
(2018-07-29, 06:34 PM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-29, 03:31 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

-- SNIP --

No errors at all, looks just like your screenie. Seems like MyBB didn't even try to send the emails.

Do you have the settings like you see in these screenshots?

[Image: 45186f1c8e73d3d11a2777ae58d50056.png]

[Image: 77f42792bfae2db74c7ef714ea433eb3.png]
(2018-07-29, 08:56 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have the settings like you see in these screenshots?

[Image: 45186f1c8e73d3d11a2777ae58d50056.png]

[Image: 77f42792bfae2db74c7ef714ea433eb3.png]

Yes, the mail settings are very similar to yours, the only difference is I have "Mail logging" set to "disable email logging". I assume this only affects outgoing emails sent via the 'Send Thread to a Friend' feature, as the label says.

Both "Return email" and "Contact email" are left blank, as I want to use the admin email for both. Again I'm assuming this behaves as described.
(2018-07-30, 08:40 AM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the mail settings are very similar to yours, the only difference is I have "Mail logging" set to "disable email logging". I assume this only affects outgoing emails sent via the 'Send Thread to a Friend' feature, as the label says.

Both "Return email" and "Contact email" are left blank, as I want to use the admin email for both. Again I'm assuming this behaves as described.

The only thing I can see is to double check your email and see if the settings are correct in the email.
(2018-07-30, 10:46 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-30, 08:40 AM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the mail settings are very similar to yours, the only difference is I have "Mail logging" set to "disable email logging". I assume this only affects outgoing emails sent via the 'Send Thread to a Friend' feature, as the label says.

The only thing I can see is to double check your email and see if the settings are correct in the email.

Hi, 

I solved our issue, here's how I did it in case anyone else encounters the same problem. It had nothing to do with forum settings or configuration.

Seems our host provider uses an anti-spam filter for outgoing mail. This filter assigns a score to each mail, based on several criteria, to try and determine if it's spam or not. The higher the score, the higher the chance the mail will be held back by the filter. One of the most penalized traits is having the "x-priority" header set. This was causing our mails to be intercepted by the anti-spam filter. 

The solution was to modify MyBB's source code to remove this header from outgoing emails. I commented out /inc/class_mailhandler.php, line 343:
//$this->headers .= "X-Priority: 3{$this->delimiter}";

After this change, everything was working fine again.
(2018-07-30, 02:43 PM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi, 

I solved our issue, here's how I did it in case anyone else encounters the same problem. It had nothing to do with forum settings or configuration.

Seems our host provider uses an anti-spam filter for outgoing mail. This filter assigns a score to each mail, based on several criteria, to try and determine if it's spam or not. The higher the score, the higher the chance the mail will be held back by the filter. One of the most penalized traits is having the "x-priority" header set. This was causing our mails to be intercepted by the anti-spam filter. 

The solution was to modify MyBB's source code to remove this header from outgoing emails. I commented out /inc/class_mailhandler.php, line 343:

I wonder if you had changed this setting in AdminCP, that your issue would have been solved. Look at the screenshot.

[Image: a8448ffb85cdbfeb3e2d6df5d14b7169.png]
(2018-07-30, 04:34 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-30, 02:43 PM)ArKano22 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi, 

I wonder if you had changed this setting in AdminCP, that your issue would have been solved. Look at the screenshot.

[Image: a8448ffb85cdbfeb3e2d6df5d14b7169.png]

It was set to "no" to begin with. Also, this does not affect mail headers afaik, which were the source of the problem.