MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem implementing reCaptcha Invisible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Up to now, my forum has used the MyBB default CAPTCHA method. This has worked well enough.

I now want to move over to a system where users can simply click "I am not a robot".

I am running MyBB 1.8.15

What I have done so far

1. In Admin CP / Configuration / General Configuration, I set the Captcha option to "reCaptcha invisible".

2. On Google's registration page, I selected "reCAPTCHA V2 / Validate requests with 'I am not a robot' checkbox."

3. I entered my domain name and completed the Google registration.

4. Back in Admin CP / Configuration / General Configuration, I entered the reCAPTCHA public key and reCAPTCHA  private key that Google gave me.

5. I saved the settings in General Configuratoin.

Result

When a new user tries to register, they see a message on the registration page: "This site key is not enabled for the invisible Captcha."

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong? Should I have chosen a different type of Captcha, either at General Configuration or on the Google registration page?

Mike
(2018-07-31, 08:12 AM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]Up to now, my forum has used the MyBB default CAPTCHA method. This has worked well enough.

I now want to move over to a system where users can simply click "I am not a robot".

I am running MyBB 1.8.15

What I have done so far

1. In Admin CP / Configuration / General Configuration, I set the Captcha option to "reCaptcha invisible".

2. On Google's registration page, I selected "reCAPTCHA V2 / Validate requests with 'I am not a robot' checkbox."

3. I entered my domain name and completed the Google registration.

4. Back in Admin CP / Configuration / General Configuration, I entered the reCAPTCHA public key and reCAPTCHA  private key that Google gave me.

5. I saved the settings in General Configuratoin.

Result

When a new user tries to register, they see a message on the registration page: "This site key is not enabled for the invisible Captcha."

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong? Should I have chosen a different type of Captcha, either at General Configuration or on the Google registration page?

Mike

Do you have this setup as shown in the screenshot?

Go to Google Recaptcha to get your own FREE reCaptcha Private and Public keys HERE. 
Do NOT worry about the Beta 3 thingy, I've been using it for months now and the keys work just fine.

[Image: 752364dabbf38ae71efb995d7e25dfb5.png]
Thank you, Serpius. That solved the problem.

For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, my mistake was setting the Captcha type (within Admin CP / General Config) to "reCaptcha invisible", when (according to Serpius's screenshot), it should have been "NoCaptcha ReCaptcha". That seems to be the setting that corresponds to "ReCapthca V2" on Google's registration page.

I would add that the terminology here is confusing. I originally chose "reCaptcha invisible" because I didn't want visitors to have to see the distorted text image. After all, "invisible" means that it can't be seen. "NoCaptcha ReCaptcha" doesn't convey that at all. In fact, it doesn't really mean anything. 

At the very least, the options in General Config should match the wording on the Google registration page. But never mind. I'm happy that the problem is now solved. Thanks again, Serpius.

Mike
(2018-07-31, 02:26 PM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you, Serpius. That solved the problem.

For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, my mistake was setting the Captcha type (within Admin CP / General Config) to "reCaptcha invisible", when (according to Serpius's screenshot), it should have been "NoCaptcha ReCaptcha". That seems to be the setting that corresponds to "ReCapthca V2" on Google's registration page.

I would add that the terminology here is confusing. I originally chose "reCaptcha invisible" because I didn't want visitors to have to see the distorted text image. After all,  "invisible" means that it can't be seen. "NoCaptcha ReCaptcha" doesn't convey that at all. In fact, it doesn't really mean anything. 

At the very least, the options in General Config should match the wording on the Google registration page. But never mind. I'm happy that the problem is now solved. Thanks again, Serpius.

Mike

I will admit that some of the wording a lot of the AdminCP settings are one of the major shortcomings of MyBB.

You have to understand that these are developers who are coding this and they assume that everyone (regardless of skill level) would understand what those settings mean or try to convey. 

Often I have to re-read a lot of these settings 2-3 times just to figure out what is being asked of me.

So... you are not alone in thinking this.

EXTRA:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the manual that comes with MyBB software is also a bit short, too. 

Sometimes it does clarify things, other times, it confuses it more. So... there's that.
We usually name third party things how they come in the libraries - Google’s “Are you a human” is indeed called NoCAPTCHA while the invisible one is a recent product. I do agree though that NoCAPTCHA would be better identified as “Are you a human” instead.
Quote:I will admit that some of the wording a lot of the AdminCP settings are one of the major shortcomings of MyBB.

You have to understand that these are developers who are coding this and they assume that everyone (regardless of skill level) would understand what those settings mean or try to convey.

I understand that perfectly, Serpius. In fact, I've seen that same situation many times over the years.

That said, I hope you didn't think I was in any way criticising the work of the MyBB developers. I am a programmer myself, and I know how easy it is to give all your attention to your logic and not enough to how the finished product looks to other people.

Mike