MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to make a closed thread more obvious?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to find a way to draw attention to closed threads on the main forum page (that is, the page that shows the list of threads within the forum).

At present, the only indication on that page that a given thread is closed is the presence of a tiny padlock on the thread icon (to the left of the thread title). I would like to place a more prominent icon, or some suitable text, against the title of a closed thread, to make it more obvious that the thread is closed.

I have studied what I think are the relevant templates, but I can't work out which one I need to alter.

I don't need detailed step-by-step instructions. If you could just point me in the right direction, that would be a good help.

I am using MyBB 1.8.15.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Thread prefixes? They’d need to be applied manually.
You will need to change the Folder Sprite:

images/folders_sprite.png

https://community.mybb.com/images/folders_sprite.png
(2018-08-07, 08:33 AM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to find a way to draw attention to closed threads on the main forum page (that is, the page that shows the list of threads within the forum).

At present, the only indication on that page that a given thread is closed is the presence of a tiny padlock on the thread icon (to the left of the thread title). I would like to place a more prominent icon, or some suitable text, against the title of a closed thread, to make it more obvious that the thread is closed.

I have studied what I think are the relevant templates, but I can't work out which one I need to alter.

I don't need detailed step-by-step instructions. If you could just point me in the right direction, that would be a good help.

I am using MyBB 1.8.15.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Agrees with @Ben Cousins

Use Prefixes and add 'Close' to the list. These will show up in the Search, if you ever had a need to search for Closed Threads.

Why have you upgraded to MyBB 1.8.17?  When you do upgrade, you must use the FULL upgrade package, not the incremental package.
Thanks for all your replies.

I understand the point about using a thread prefix, but I was hoping for something more automatic. I don't think I can always rely on the person closing the thread to necessarily select the correct prefix.

I was hoping there would be some way of modifying a template, such that it detects the fact that a thread is closed, and can display some suitable text or icon if it is. I should think that would be possible, given that the system must be able to test the thread's status in order to know which folder icon to display. I've been studying the program code, but I simply don't know enough about the template system to be able to follow it.

I like the idea of modifying the folder sprite. I was planning to do that in any case.

So thanks for all your help so far. I'd welcome any further suggestions.

Mike
Alternate approach. As you stated you don't need detailed instruction I can just point you to a different direction to accomplish this.
The icon with padlock as you mention has a class ('closefolder' or 'dot_closefolder' or ...). Detect the class containing 'closefolder' word for closed threads and with that you can play like anything to appear it separate from others, like changing background color of the thread row or a CSS ribbon tag at the corner (similar to fork me on github one) etc.
(2018-08-08, 09:38 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Alternate approach. As you stated you don't need detailed instruction I can just point you to a different direction to accomplish this.
The icon with padlock as you mention has a class ('closefolder' or 'dot_closefolder' or ...). Detect the class containing 'closefolder' word for closed threads and with that you can play like anything to appear it separate from others, like changing background color of the thread row or a CSS ribbon tag at the corner (similar to fork me on github one) etc.

That can be done, too.

However, why not FORCE users to use the Prefix? 

In the AdminCP → Forums & Posts → Select a forum → Edit Forum Settings → Screenshot

To me, that's a quick and easy way to force users to select a Prefix.

Now, if people want to change the 'Closed' thread to a different color or whatever, then they would use your option as mentioned above.

[Image: 189e852f6bf2a05037dc2102d3636d61.png]
(2018-08-08, 09:38 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Detect the class containing 'closefolder' word for closed threads and with that you can play like anything to appear it separate from others, like changing background color of the thread row or a CSS ribbon tag at the corner (similar to fork me on github one) etc.

This looks promising. Looking at thread_status.css, I can see where the styles are defined which correspond to the various icons, including those relevant to closed threads. I should be able to add some text and some styling, perhaps to display the word "Closed" in big red letters, or something similar. I'll explore this option a little further, perhaps along with removing the actual icon itself.

In the meantime, thanks to all of you who have replied so far.

Mike