MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login issue with 1.8.17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I created a completely fresh 1.8.17 forum on my new Bluehost account. When I log in everything looks fine but then following the friendly redirect page it takes me back to the index page where it still says "Hello there, guest!" and it looks as if I haven't logged in. If I click a forum section or a thread, it however works fine and now it shows that I'm logged in.

Then if I try log out it looks as if I'm logged out, but yet again if I click a forum section or a thread, I'm still logged in.

Has anyone else encountered this? I thought the login issues that occurred with 1.8.15 were fixed?
Fresh installation and you have this problem ? Where did you install into - the root or a subfolder ?

What you describe is a caching problem - same like here:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-219044.html
In a subfolder under public.html.

Going to check the thread you linked to now.

Okay, this is interesting as I just opened a new Bluehost account and I have to circumvent all the stuff they provide for Wordpress which seems to be most of their customers these days. I was even told to state that I do not have a Wordpress account when I ask for technical support, otherwise they take it for granted.

Reading the thread you linked me to, Ashley, I bet this is a problem caused by that. According to that thread it has to do with the .htaccess file, but I didn't understand what the fix is.

This is my .htaccess file, please note that I don't have Wordpress:

text/x-generic .htaccess ( UTF-8 Unicode English text )
# BEGIN WordPress
AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php71 .php
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
 ExpiresActive On
 ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 year"
 ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 year"
 ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 year"
 ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 year"
 ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 month"
 ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 month"
 ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 month"
 ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 2 hours"
 ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
 ExpiresDefault "access plus 6 hours"
</IfModule>
Header set X-Endurance-Cache-Level "2"
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /~xxxxxxxxxx/
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /~xxxxxxxxx/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# Set the “ea-php71” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
<IfModule mime_module>
  AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php71 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
You have a much smaller htaccess than the other user who posted the same problem.

First of all do you have an active htaccess in the mybb folder ? If not enable the default mybb htaccess and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem persists then you need to see where the conflict is with the top htaccess.

I doubt the problem would be with the rewrite section - and even if it were you would be able to set an exclusion on the mybb folder so that mybb is not affected.

That leaves this section:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php71 .php
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 2 hours"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access plus 6 hours"
</IfModule>
Header set X-Endurance-Cache-Level "2"

AND this section:

<IfModule mime_module>
AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php71 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>

You need to temporarily remove these and see what effect they have on the MyBB install. Remember to clear your browser cache and restart the browser before checking the result.

Since the problem is with caching i suspect the problematic code may be the first section of your htaccess.
(2018-08-06, 02:43 PM)hwmana Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-05, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you confirm what you had in the mybb folder ? was it htaccess.txt or .htaccess ?

if you had htaccess.txt, rename it to .htaccess -> that's what i mean by making it active.

I can confirm that it was the .htaccess file.

I researched more on this conflicting and found that I need to edit the main WordPress file so that it does not affect the subdirectory. I will have to create an exception for the forums folder.

But I could not find what exact changes I need to make.

OK, I realize now I misread the post above. He's not saying the issue is the .htaccess file, he's saying he needs to edit the main Wordpress file. Hmm.
(2018-08-09, 06:27 PM)amanda_2011 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-06, 02:43 PM)hwmana Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-05, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you confirm what you had in the mybb folder ? was it htaccess.txt or .htaccess ?

if you had htaccess.txt, rename it to .htaccess -> that's what i mean by making it active.

I can confirm that it was the .htaccess file.

I researched more on this conflicting and found that I need to edit the main WordPress file so that it does not affect the subdirectory. I will have to create an exception for the forums folder.

But I could not find what exact changes I need to make.

OK, I realize now I misread the post above. He's not saying the issue is the .htaccess file, he's saying he needs to edit the main Wordpress file. Hmm.

I think he meant the htaccess file - you should do the same first to rename the htaccess file and see if the problem goes away.
(2018-08-09, 06:32 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think he meant the htaccess file - you should do the same first to rename the htaccess file and see if the problem goes away.

OK, thanks, I'll do it tomorrow, as I think I have to do a clean install again. It's really acting up now (this is before editing the .htaccess file) and instead of showing me the forum, it takes me to the install page again.

If you want to check in on me tomorrow, I'd be very grateful. (It's late here.)
Its not necessary to reinstall MyBB - the reason it goes to the install directory is because of the cache. all you should do is disable the htaccess file at the root by renaming it -> clear your your browser cache -> restart the browser. Then you should be fine.

Since you're not using Wordpress - you can even delete that htaccess - but you should probably talk to your host first.
(2018-08-09, 06:54 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Its not necessary to reinstall MyBB - the reason it goes to the install directory is because of the cache. all you should do is disable the htaccess file at the root by renaming it -> clear your your browser cache -> restart the browser. Then you should be fine.

Since you're not using Wordpress - you can even delete that htaccess - but you should probably talk to your host first.

And replace it with the default myBB .htaccess file? Where do I find that one?

(2018-08-09, 06:54 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Its not necessary to reinstall MyBB - the reason it goes to the install directory is because of the cache. all you should do is disable the htaccess file at the root by renaming it -> clear your your browser cache -> restart the browser. Then you should be fine.

Did the bolded above and now it works, so you're correct, it is this stupid Wordpress .htaccess file which I haven't even asked for.

Forgot to say, I tried editing the .htacess file like you suggested above, but that didn't help, but disabling it did.
Yeah. It's not as if you can't use caching with MyBB. Some of those rules are useful and can be used. but some maybe causing a problem and different servers can be setup differently i guess.
Pages: 1 2