MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Categories Collapsed by Default
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a good way to make the categories on a site collapsed by default AND have the cookie hold for either collapsed/expanded. I could go into the general javascript file, but then that'd be a pain to update - also I know this functions for other things, not just the forums. I'd rather not edit this. 

Any other good suggestions? Ideas?

Thank you
(2018-08-14, 10:45 PM)tamme Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a good way to make the categories on a site collapsed by default AND have the cookie hold for either collapsed/expanded. I could go into the general javascript file, but then that'd be a pain to update - also I know this functions for other things, not just the forums. I'd rather not edit this. 

Any other good suggestions? Ideas?

Thank you

Well, by default, and in most pre-made themes, the categories are in the "open" mode. 

If you want all categories or even certain categories to be "closed", which will require the user to force it "open", then you'll have to have that theme customized to meet your needs.

My forum is a bit different... for each tab, the section slides up or down depending on the section. It's hard to visualize it unless you see it live. It's pretty cool.

In any case, what you are asking for is for you or someone else to customize the theme to your liking. 

I am not certain if there is a plugin that does that.

Maybe someone will chime in on this.
Nope. No specific plugin, and I am not asking about specific categories - but all categories. I know how to make it work by altering the actual general.js file, but I'd rather not do that. It can probably be done by adding my own jquery code, but I was hoping someone else had other ideas that would make it so I wouldn't have to rewrite the entire forum structure, since the expand/collapse event appears to trigger from the "thead" div.