MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My opinion on new style, script, GitHub etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive switched to new skin to see whats worth and at first there was big wow, but, after 2-3 days, I came to conclusion that new skin was not so great. Why?

1. Twig. What the hell is this doing here? Am not and will not be using it, ever!! Im big opponent of, what I call, "branded OSS". Branded OSS is when company (forcibly) takes over OSS project and force their (in most cases idiotic) changes into said product. In general I am not and will never use "branded OSS". No matter what. Not to mention that even before take over took place, Twig had always been orange.

2. Bugs throughout skin. Things like inlining of quotations/codes, CSS visiblility etc....

3. Parsing CSS inside Thread title field iinstead of just plaindisplay them.

End for skin.

As of PHP, Zend, Mybb and (well-hated) Firefox
Browsing this forum with browser other than Firefox (or should I write firefox) is a pleasure. Everything works as intended. Once you start ff, problems/issues arise..... why and what problems?

Why - because Mozilla turned Firefox into purest s h i t one can imagine. The one that will not make toilet paper dirty once you wipe your a**......
Simply put :: they heavily f u c k e d  up....... thats why it sucks. To the point it is unable to render dynamic pages properly anymore. But thats different story.

GitHub......
Microsoft did perfect job acquiring GitHub. However big sum they paid it was worth it. Well done MS.
Your opinion about TWIG is probably in the minority. TWIG is better than our current template system in numerous ways, but one of the main ways is flexibility. The theme you see on MyBB's Community forum hasn't been updated in ages. The development of the new theme is actually taking place here.
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "new skin" - do you mean the 1.9 concept theme that is entirely unfinished and is out of date?

Quote:1. Twig. What the hell is this doing here? Am not and will not be using it, ever!! Im big opponent of, what I call, "branded OSS". Branded OSS is when company (forcibly) takes over OSS project and force their (in most cases idiotic) changes into said product. In general I am not and will never use "branded OSS". No matter what. Not to mention that even before take over took place, Twig had always been orange.

Twig is a drop in replacement to our aging template system, its modern, it supports things like conditionals. I don't see why anyone would prefer our template engine to Twig... In regards to your "branded OSS" comments - Twig was never forcibly taken over to my knowledge... both Twig and Symphony have been in development for the better part of a decade under the same umbrella.

Regarding theme issues, the biggest issues with our current default theme are exactly why we want to modernise it and introduce a proper templating engine that isn't jsut eval().
(2018-08-17, 01:20 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
(...)
Twig is a drop in replacement to our aging template system, its modern, it supports things like conditionals. I don't see why anyone would prefer our template engine to Twig... In regards to your "branded OSS" comments - Twig was never forcibly taken over to my knowledge... both Twig and Symphony have been in development for the better part of a decade under the same umbrella.
Wrong. Every OSS software that have company created in false hope of "taking care" of said software is taken by force.
In  other words :: Company starts = OSS ends. Real OSS doers not need a company. Will do best without company being set up..... 
Why? Because CEOs are strawberry asses and the only thing they truly take care is money.....

Sad, terribly sad, but true.
(2018-08-17, 03:02 PM)someoneBig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-17, 01:20 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
(...)
Wrong. Every OSS software that have company created in false hope of "taking care" of said software is taken by force.
In  other words :: Company starts = OSS ends. Real OSS doers not need a company. Will do best without company being set up..... 
Why? Because CEOs are eggplanting limees and the only thing they truly take care is money.....

Sad, terribly sad, but true.

OSS is a license state, not something you can just magically wave away when you decide. Twig is distributed under BSD, thus it IS open source... You comments show how much you don't really know about running a large OSS project - an indie OSS project is great but soon there comes a time when you can't just be a bunch of people around the world contributing, when you have hundreds of thousands of projects and sites that rely on your software, where you need some kind of organisation.

Just because something is run by a company doesn't mean that its all about money - that's what non-profits are.

Twig is staying in MyBB as its the best we can integrate realtively simply into MyBB without a complete rewrite. If you don't like Twig then cool beans, but that's how it is.
Quote:Just because something is run by a company doesn't mean that its all about money
Seriously? Lets look into some of the 'big players' of OSS world::

1. PHP:: It was truly OSS, but creator started a company (Zend Technologies) and here it went :: he still calls it OSS but reality is that no code is altered in any way if CEO has other vision of PHP (tested 2 times by me; had support of 90% of community and what? REJECTED),
2. Zend Framework; same situation
3. ElasticSearch: pretty much same situation., but I didnt contribute.
4. Mozilla = they give a orange to what users think/want.

Many many more examples.

PS. Non-profit? Zend? It steals hundreds of $ per month from its users. Elastic? Same situation. Other "non-profit" companies? Same thing.

Thing here within OSS world is lack of morality. What they do is moral for them.

You talk about having thousands of projects/sites relying on one OSS project that is backed by company.... Look at Joomla :: milions of volunteers around the world, company and extremely healthy enviroment. Can be? Of course!
I'm sorry you do not like that we selected Twig for our template system moving forward. Your feedback has been noted. However, we will continue to move forward with Twig for MyBB 1.9 and beyond.

I've closed this thread. New threads can be created for technical arguments without inappropriate language.
Also, just another notice: The forums here aren't using Twig at all - we're still running on MyBB. Any problems you see with the early development, out of date concept theme installed here aren't at all related to Twig since it isn't installed here.